A style of electronic-based music that uses lots of clicks, cuts, and other sounds caused by glitches in electronic equipment.
some examples:
Autechre
Funkstorung
Disc
Pole
Oval

will frequently cause a cerebral itch in the listener
glassfet = G = glob

glitch /glich/

[very common; from German `glitschig' slippery, via Yiddish `glitshen', to slide or skid] 1. n. A sudden interruption in electric service, sanity, continuity, or program function. Sometimes recoverable. An interruption in electric service is specifically called a `power glitch' (also power hit), of grave concern because it usually crashes all the computers. In jargon, though, a hacker who got to the middle of a sentence and then forgot how he or she intended to complete it might say, "Sorry, I just glitched". 2. vi. To commit a glitch. See gritch. 3. vt. [Stanford] To scroll a display screen, esp. several lines at a time. WAITS terminals used to do this in order to avoid continuous scrolling, which is distracting to the eye. 4. obs. Same as magic cookie, sense 2.

All these uses of `glitch' derive from the specific technical meaning the term has in the electronic hardware world, where it is now techspeak. A glitch can occur when the inputs of a circuit change, and the outputs change to some random value for some very brief time before they settle down to the correct value. If another circuit inspects the output at just the wrong time, reading the random value, the results can be very wrong and very hard to debug (a glitch is one of many causes of electronic heisenbugs).

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Bob's keytool from the TV series ReBoot.

Bob can transform Glitch into just about any object or tool. Glitch is usually used to protect the citizens of Mainframe from Megabyte and Hexadecimal.

In the third series of ReBoot, Bob merged with Glitch and became Glitch Bob.

Glitch was a web-based game written by Tiny Speck Studios, who would later go on to make Slack.  (The same team originally worked at Ludicorp where they were part of the team that made Flickr.) It was a platformer with an emphasis on crafting, collection, exploration, and community

The art had a definite Dr. Seussian element to it, and the music sticks in your head well enough that here it is 2017 and I just had one of the background songs stuck in my head, prompting this node.  It originally opened in 2011 and closed down in 2012 due to "lack of interest." They released all of the ActionScript source code to the public as well as the music and art under a Creative Commons CC0 license. (Though, I suspect it had more to do with the company looking at the cost of maintaining a Flash game compared to something that they could generate profit from, reality ruins everyone's fun!)

There have been attempts to remake a fan version with both Children of Ur and Eleven, but nothing has quite captured the strange alchemy that was the original game. Part of this is that their focus on creativity and cooperation made the community a large part of the draw, and it's difficult to reassemble that from source code and the creative commons art.  In much the same way that E2 would be a hard phenomenon to recreate, even with all of the component pieces. Once it's released, it's hard to get that magic smoke back in the box.

You can still see the list of former players and all of the objects at their website http://www.glitchthegame.com

EDIT: Oh! Very excited, the Slack client that we use for work had a problem, a "GLITCH" which displayed an error screen where the background was a scene from Glitch the Game. What a wonderful easter egg!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.