There is some dispute over whether it is properly pronounced Frap or frappé.
Most proponents of frap subscribe to the Talk American, willya? school of pronunciation.
Many places around me make frappes with lots of blended fruit: you know, like a shake with ice cream. They even make vegan ones.
The frappe is a fruit based beverage (though when frozen it becomes more of a sherbet) poured over shaved ice and often served as a dessert or as an appetizer. Many times, this is an alcohol based drink with a liqueur poured over the ice. In non-alcohol versions of this drink it is often a coffee or milk based drink. The coffee version is properly termed cafe au lait frappe and shows the origin of the frappe. Frappe is from the French frapper meaning "to strike" or "chill" - thus the cafe au lait frappe is chilled coffee with milk. Starbucks has expanded on this with the Frappucino (you can't trademark existing drink terms like the frappe) which is blended ice, coffee, milk, cocoa, sugar. This is often shortened to 'frappe' when spoken. It should be noted that Starbucks is not the creator nor the only source of a coffee frappe. In the New England area, the word 'frappe' has replaced the term 'milkshake'.

The coffee version of the frappe as listed by webtender:

This is then blended together at the highest blender speed (often labeled 'frappe') for about 1 minute and then poured in to a glass. The frappe is then drunk with a straw.
(http://www.webtender.com/db/drink/1105)

There are many variants of the frappe that are alcohol free, and those that are created with alcohol.

Frap`pe" (fr&adot;`pa"), a. [F., p.p. of frapper to strike, to chill.]

Iced; frozen; artificially cooled; as, wine frappe. -- n.

A frappe mixture or beverage, as a water ice, variously flavored, frozen soft, and served in glasses.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.