In reference to the Nine Inch Nail's tour. This was the best concert I've ever been to in a venue larger than a shoe box. Seems like I missed out on something, not living in a time where music was, well, art. Had I been born in the 70's or 60's I probably would've had a much easier existence (assuming I didn't die of a drug overdose), but I digress. This show made me understand what I should be seeing everytime I pay TicketMaster 40 bucks for a lawn seat. Not only did NiN tear up the place, they did it live, with no tracks or lipsyncing. They were the most emotional and powerful performers that I have ever seen. Not only that, but they did an encore. I thought those didn't exist anymore. When the second verse of Hurt came on, not one person in that crowd could help but sing the lyrics beat for beat along with Trent. He seemed so alone on stage at that moment, but he was back where he belongs, among his fans.

no grasp.
my inner ear must be out of order -
i have no sensation of acceleration
but the sound of air says i'm falling.

In a pane of treated glass, tiny flaws can develop, invisible, and persist undetected for years until someone brushes against the glass or leans on it and it explodes in a shower.

"Live simply that

a snarl, rope with no beginning

others

a place, blame with no object

may simply

a fall, the air is familiar, motion different

live."

Or a change in atmospheric pressure can cause the glass to shatter. No shocks, imps, touch required. Just this sudden transformation of a clear pane to a pile of gemlike - nothing. Those in the room may stop, fork frozen halfway to their mouth, or leap up bewildered, speechless, knocking over a wineglass, the stain spreading unnoticed...

How can we understand breakage with no moment of impact?

Fra*gil"i*ty (?), n. [L. fragilitas: cf. F. fragilit'e. Cf. Frailty.]

1.

The condition or quality of being fragile; brittleness; frangibility.

Bacon.

2.

Weakness; feebleness.

An appearance of delicacy, and even of fragility, is almost essential to it [beauty]. Burke.

3.

Liability to error and sin; frailty.

[Obs.]

The fragility and youthful folly of Qu. Fabius. Holland.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.