The battle of Fort Sumter, which was really more of a unilateral bombardment by Confederate artillery, was started on April 12th, 1861, and concluded some 2 days later on April 14th. It was the first open conflict of the American Civil War The control of Charleston was critical to the South's cause, and the Union garrison there effectively blockaded the harbor. Charleston, South Carolina was an economic powerhouse, the harbor meant continued trade with Europe and a supply line to British arms and material. The British were only too happy to supply the South - it created a market for their arms and had the potential to divide one of their greatest rivals in two. The irony of this is the later messianic fervor for Victorian England's anti-slavery efforts.

On April 10th, 1861, The commander of the CS forces, Brig. Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard issued an ultimatum to the Union commander of the fort, Major Robert Anderson, US Army. Anderson was asked to abandon his position and withdraw north with his forces. Anderson refused. Earlier, the day before Lincoln's inaugural address, MAJ Anderson had telegraphed a request to the War Department for 20,000 men reenforcement. It was rejected as a potentially inflammatory gesture.

Unfortunately, the Fort was designed to defend against naval assault, not an attack from onshore. In a conventional conflict, there would have been land-based forces to protect the inland flank of the fortress. Anderson was cut off, but his duty was clear. He had been told to hold his position.

On the morning on the 12th, the Confederate artillery opened up. Anderson held out for a day, then surrendered without taking a single casualty. Holding out further, with no reenforcements inbound, seemed pointless. He was allowed to withdraw. Firing an exit salute, one of the Union cannons exploded, and three Union soldiers were killed.

The War had begun in earnest.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.