A blissful concept, forgetfulness. Often looked upon as a sign of aging, should be embraced and revered. To conveniently forget is one of the greatest things in the world, this is possibly the most often used excuse in the world: "I forgot", "I forget", etc. It's often accepted because it is true, humans are easily side-tracked and often they truly don't remember to do or say things. (See: "Sorry, I forgot it was your birthday".)

However, many a time, I forget to do something I didn't want to do in the first place.. usually out of convenience.

It is much easier to forget something if you do not like it.

Forgetfulness is often hard-linked to guilt.

How many times would one have to forget forgetting to satisfy the chance of natural curiosity uncovering the original forgotten fact, event, etc.?

For*get" (?), v. t. [imp. Forgot (?) (Forgat (), Obs.); p. p. Forgotten (?), Forgot; p. pr. & vb. n. Forgetting.] [OE. forgeten, foryeten, AS. forgietan, forgitan; pref. for- + gietan, gitan (only in comp.), to get; cf. D. vergeten, G. vergessen, Sw. forgata, Dan. forgiette. See For-, and Get, v. t.]

1.

To lose the remembrance of; to let go from the memory; to cease to have in mind; not to think of; also, to lose the power of; to cease from doing.

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits. Ps. ciii. 2.

Let y right hand forget her cunning. Ps. cxxxvii. 5.

Hath thy knee forget to bow? Shak.

2.

To treat with inattention or disregard; to slight; to neglect.

Can a woman forget her sucking child? . . . Yes, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. Is. xlix. 15.

To forget one's self. (a) To become unmindful of one's own personality; to be lost in thought. (b) To be entirely unselfish. (c) To be guilty of what is unworthy of one; to lose one's dignity, temper, or self-control.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.