The act, manner, or power of flying, either with or without wings. Humans have dreamed of being able to fly for thousands of years, and have only developed the science of flight in the previous century, with the airplane and the rocket.

Many animals, including birds, insects, and bats, are able to fly -- we envy them because they can enjoy the freedom of flight without having to bother with airports, security checkpoints, carry-on luggage, and in-flight movies.

Flight is freedom from the Chains of Doom. Flight is the freedom from things that, paradoxically, requires things to be the substance of that freedom. Flights of fancy, flights of lyric, flights of passion, and, yes, even flights of fear. And what permeates all of this, is language, words, letters.

Flight is also the discipline which allows Gargoyles (stony vampiric slaves of Clan Tremere) to fly despite their weight and wingspan in the Vampire: The Masquerade role-playing game. The higher the level of Flight posessed by a Gargoyle, the higher and faster the Gargoyle can fly. Flight is thought to be based on the Path of Thaumaturgy called Movement of the Mind (Rego Motus).

A Civilization advance.
Sustained, self-powered motion through the air, or flight, has tantalized humans since the dawn of time. Just after the turn of the twentieth century, Orville and Wilbur Wright made the first four controlled, sustained human flights at Kitty Hawk, NC. The technology of flight advanced rapidly, and within a relatively few years, aircraft were circling the globe, safely delivering passengers and mail at record speeds.
Prerequisites: Combustion and Physics
Allows for: Advanced Flight

Flight (?), n. [AS. fliht, flyht, a flying, fr. fleogan to fly; cf. flyht a fleeing, fr. fleon to flee, G. flucht a fleeing, Sw. flykt, G. flug a flying, Sw. flygt, D. vlugt a fleeing or flying, Dan. flugt. &root;84. See Flee, Fly.]

1.

The act or flying; a passing through the air by the help of wings; volitation; mode or style of flying.

Like the night owl's lazy flight. Shak.

2.

The act of fleeing; the act of running away, to escape or expected evil; hasty departure.

Pray ye that your flight be not in the winter. Matt. xxiv. 20.

Fain by flight to save themselves. Shak.

3.

Lofty elevation and excursion;a mounting; a soaing; as, a flight of imagination, ambition, folly.

Could he have kept his spirit to that flight, He had been happy. Byron.

His highest flights were indeed far below those of Taylor. Macaulay.

4.

A number of beings or things passing through the air together; especially, a flock of birds flying in company; the birds that fly or migrate together; the birds produced in one season; as, a flight of arrows.

Swift.

Swift flights of angels ministrant. Milton.

Like a flight of fowl Scattered winds and tempestuous gusts. Shak.

5.

A series of steps or stairs from one landing to another.

Parker.

6.

A kind of arrow for the longbow; also, the sport of shooting with it. See Shaft.

[Obs.]

Challenged Cupid at the flight. Shak.

Not a flight drawn home E'er made that haste that they have. Beau. & Fl.

7.

The husk or glume of oats.

[Prov. Eng.]

Wright. <-- 8. a trip made by or in a flying vehicle, as an airplane, spacecraft, or aeronautical balloon. 9. A scheduled flight{8} -- [to take a flight{9}. -->

Flight feathers Zool., the wing feathers of a bird, including the quills, coverts, and bastard wing. See Bird. -- To put to flight, To turn to flight, to compel to run away; to force to flee; to rout.

Syn. -- Pair; set. See Pair.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.