A Talking Horse and father of all winged horses; a character in C.S. Lewis' book The Magician's Nephew, one of The Chronicles of Narnia.

Fledge was originally a normal horse named Strawberry, and pulled a cab in early 1900s London. When the children Digory Kirke and Polly Plummer accidentally brought the evil witch Queen Jadis from another world, Strawberry's cab (and master) were appropriated by Jadis. As she ran amok, Digory and Polly tried to use their magic rings to transport Jadis back to her world of Charn. They erred in their execution, transporting themselves, Jadis, Digory's Uncle Andrew, the cabbie and Strawberry into a different world not yet born.

They all witnessed the appearance of the great Lion Aslan as he created the new world of Narnia out of nothingness. When its first animals emerged Aslan breathed on selected pairs and transformed them into Talking Beasts. Aslan also favored Strawberry, who became sentient and spoke.

Aslan sent Digory and Polly on a quest to protect Narnia against the evil that had been loosed not a few hours after its birth. To help them, Aslan offered to transform Strawberry into a winged horse. Strawberry joyfully accepted. Aslan renamed him "Fledge," and Fledge accompanied Digory and Polly on their quest.

Fledge (?), a. [OE. flegge, flygge; akin to D. vlug, G. flugge, flucke, OHG. flucchi, Icel. fleygr, and to E. fly. 84. See Fly, v. i.]

Feathered; furnished with feathers or wings; able to fly.

H shoulders, fledge with wings. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.


Fledge, v. t. & i. [imp. & p. p. Fledged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Fledging.]

1.

To furnish with feathers; to supply with the feathers necessary for flight.

The birds were not as yet fledged enough to shift for themselves. L'Estrange.

2.

To furnish or adorn with any soft covering.

Your master, whose chin is not yet fledged. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.