Your end results will only somewhat resemble a fish's tail, but hey, sometimes you gotta work with what you're given.

  1. Divide hair into two sections- left and right. Hold both sections in your left hand.

  2. With your right hand, divide the right section in half and bring the right half across the left half to join it with the left section.

  3. Switch both sections to your right hand.

  4. With your left hand, divide the left section in half and bring the left half across the right half to join it with the right section. (A.K.A do the exact opposite of what you just did.)

  5. Repeat until you run out of hair, making sure to keep the braid tight. Tie off the braid.

It should be noted that this is far easier to do to someone else than to yourself.
The fishtail is somewhat inappropriately named, because it more resembles the skeleton of a fish than its tail. I often put two fishtail braids in my fiance's long hair and one in my little cousin's tresses. I use more than the four sections described by lakeonfire.
Instead, I start with two major sections but rather than dividing them each into two more, I take a small strand from the far side of one and add it across to the other, than repeat with the other side and so forth until I reach the bottom.
The result of this is that the fishtail takes longer to create but ends up looking more decked out and even more fish-bone like.
Viewers of the finished product often have no idea what it actually is but comment on how it looks like an especially intricate braid. Others who are familiar with the names and existence of such haircrafts will recognize it immediately and give props.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.