Once upon a time there was an old man and old woman who lived in the mountains. Everyday the old man would work in the fields sowing seeds, and chanting "One seed becomes a thousand seeds." And every day a badger came along and sang "One seed is one, and I'll eat every one!" And when the old man would come back the next day, there would be no seeds left because the badger ate them all, and the old man and woman were very poor because of this.

Eventually, the old man got angry and decided to catch the badger. As he was sowing seeds one day, he waited for the badger to come and taunt him, then the old man rushed the badger and tied him up with good strong rope. Once he got home he said to his wife, "I caught the badger, let's have badger stew tonight." And went off to the fields to work again. The old woman began grinding rice up to make rice cakes for dinner. The badger said to the woman, "I'm sorry for what I've done, you're too old to be doing that alone... untie me and I'll help you." The woman, feeling that the badger was sorry for his crime, set the badger free. The badger grabbed the pestle and pretended to start grinding the rice, then turned around and hit the woman hard on the head with it. The old man came home and found his wife dead and began weeping. As he was crying, a rabbit came along and asked the old man why he was so sad. The old man told him the story about the badger, and the hare went off to get revenge for the old man.

The hare was gathering firewood at Cracking Mountain and the badger came by and asked him what he was doing. The hare told the badger that he was gathering firewood for the cold winter ahead. The badger thought that it was a good idea, and started gathering wood as well. While carrying the wood down the mountain, the hare complained that his load was too heavy, so the badger carried it for him. The hare began cracking flint behind the badger... and the badger asked him what he was doing. The hare responded "Oh, that sound you hear is the Cracking Birds of Cracking Mountain." So the badger continued down the mountain, trusting the hare. Eventually the hare caught the wood on fire with a "Woosh" sound. The badger asked again what the sound was, but the hare told him that it was the sound the bids made wen flying. Finally, the fire grew, and the badger's back started burning and he started screaming, but the hare just ran away.

The next day, the hare was picking red peppers to make some chilli powder, and the badger came along and blamed him for being badly burned at Cracking Mountain the day before. The hare responded that hares from Cracking Mountain are different than hares from Red Pepper Mountain, and that he didn't know what the badger was talking about. The badger believed this, and asked the hare if he had any medicine for burns. The hare responded that he had just made some, and powdered the badger's back with the chilli powder he had just made. At first the badger did not notice anything, but gradually it began to hurt and burn. And once more he was suffering and groaning, but the hare was far away.

The day after, the hare was cutting down some trees to make a boat. The badger came by with his back hurting and blamed the hair for almost dying of pain. The hare responded that hares from Red Pepper Mountain are different from hares from Cedar Mountain, and he didn't know what the badger was talking about. The badger believed the hare again, and asked the hare why he was making a boat. The hare responded that it was for fishing in the river and the badger decided that he wanted a boat too. The hare told the badger, "As my fur is white, I'm building a white boat with cedar, as your fur is black you'll build a black boat out of the earth." So they made two boats, one out of wood and the other out of mud and went out onto the river. Not surprisingly, the badger's boat began to fall apart. The badger, drowning, was shouting for help. But the hare looked at the badger blankly and said, "Just think of the poor old woman who died because of you", and paddled away.

The hare went and told the old man of the badger's death, but the old man wasn't happy because revenge didn't make his wife come back.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.