For the record: Fajitas is not a Mexican dish. It is either a Tejano dish or a Tex-Mex dish, depending on whom you ask, but it is certainly not a Mexican dish.

Furthermore, Fajitas are not chicken or shrimp or vegetarian or anything other than BEEF. Fajitas are made from a cut of beef, specifically, skirt steak, which is similar to flank steak, but not the same. They came to popularity originally among those of lower economic means as they were cooked using a relatively inexpensive cut of meat which was, at the time, cheaper than other cuts of meat. As the fates would have it, with the increased popularity of fajitas, the price of the cut of beef has risen dramatically, making what was a traditionally affordable dish now quite expensive.

In sum: Not a mexican dish, not a style of cooking, made from beef. Now, will the real fajitas please stand up?


Added about 5 mins after original....
And another thing. Sour cream is a largely unknown ingredient in Mexican food. What is used in Mexican cuisine is just called crema, and it is vaguely similar to whipping cream, or perhaps to creme fraiche.

So you want to eat tasty spicy food tonight, eh?. Not exactly authentic Mexican. Contains chicken, not beef, which, as I read above, does mean they are by definition, not actually fajitas, but I couldn't think of a better spot to put this. This makes enough for 4 or 5 people. With the suggested levels of spicy ingredients, it is sufficient to make most people cry. Adjust as necessary.

The Chicken:

Mix all the above stuff (except the chicken) together, in a casserole dish. Understand that all measurements above are approximate. Add the chicken and get it coated nicely. Cook at 400 Fahrenheit for about an hour. When done, cut into bite-size pieces.

The Vegetables:

Chop the vegetables as you like them and stir fry them in the other ingredients. Should take 5-7 minutes to reach a tasty consistency.

To Serve:

Serve the above two dishes with warmed flour tortillas, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped romaine lettuce, tomatoes, and salsa. Rice is a nice addition, too.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.