En*gage" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Engaged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Engaging (?).] [F. engager; pref. en- (L. in) + gage pledge, pawn. See Gage.]

1.

To put under pledge; to pledge; to place under obligations to do or forbear doing something, as by a pledge, oath, or promise; to bind by contract or promise.

"I to thee engaged a prince's word."

Shak.

2.

To gain for service; to bring in as associate or aid; to enlist; as, to engage friends to aid in a cause; to engage men for service.

3.

To gain over; to win and attach; to attract and hold; to draw.

Good nature engages everybody to him. Addison.

4.

To employ the attention and efforts of; to occupy; to engross; to draw on.

Thus shall mankind his guardian care engage. Pope.

Taking upon himself the difficult task of engaging him in conversation. Hawthorne.

5.

To enter into contest with; to encounter; to bring to conflict.

A favorable opportunity of engaging the enemy. Ludlow.

6. Mach.

To come into gear with; as, the teeth of one cogwheel engage those of another, or one part of a clutch engages the other part.

 

© Webster 1913.


En*gage", v. i.

1.

To promise or pledge one's self; to enter into an obligation; to become bound; to warrant.

How proper the remedy for the malady, I engage not. Fuller.

2.

To embark in a business; to take a part; to employ or involve one's self; to devote attention and effort; to enlist; as, to engage in controversy.

3.

To enter into conflict; to join battle; as, the armies engaged in a general battle.

4. Mach.

To be in gear, as two cogwheels working together.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.