The mental state you exist in the day after a serious drinking session when you wake up with no recollection of anything that happened.

As the day wears on, usually starting with getting out of bed to put on the coffee you get hit with a series of emotional DOH!s as pieces of last night float back into your mind and you begin to recall some of the things you said and some of the people you said them to

Serious emotional hangovers occur mostly in relation to works nights out when you recall telling one of the VP's exactly what your opinions are of the drivel that is the company's mission statement. They also occur following nights out where your ex was in the same bar, the one you've been trying to convince yourself you were over but last night begged on bended knee to get back together with. Only to be pointed in the direction of their new love, who disturbingly is not the same sex as you.

Outside of socialising emotional hangovers also include recalling the voice mail you left your ex when you got back home, detailing all their faults the first five minutes and promising unrequieted love if they return to you for the last five, finishing with a slow sobbing down the phone and a threat of suicide.

Emotional hangovers can, as you get older, include various actions that you took. Normally for younger people these are fairly acceptable and not something to be embarassed about, but for those who are meant to be more mature it is never easy when you get a flashback of you standing on top of the bar lighting your farts in front of everyone.

Similar to an alcohol, or drug induced hangover. This term refers to the hangover which lingers in the aftermath of an intensely emotional experience, or earth shattering event. The result of an excess of negative emotion - anger, fear, jealousy, hatred, sadness, self-loathing, and the like. Experienced more by those with heightened emotions, such as empaths, the depressed, and those mourning the loss of loved ones. Victims of violent crime often find themselves crippled by an emotional hangover of fear that lingers long after the crime itself.

An emotional hangover is closely related to, and often a component of post-traumatic stress disorder.

Symptoms usually include general fatigue, headaches, body aches, emotional vulnerability, and detachment from reality. Commonly accompanied by feelings of regret, guilt, shame, and worthlessness.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.