Feminine form of Emil, possibly from the Roman family name Aemilius, meaning rival. Also possibly derived from the Japanese Emi, meaning blessed with beauty, or the Germanic Emma, meaning whole or universal, or the Germanic Emeline, meaning work.

I want to tell you about a girl named Emily. She was a girl I knew when she was thirteen, I was fifteen and sixteen. I still speak to her now and then; she's graduating high school this year. When I knew her, she was mature for her age, yet harbouring that innocence that only a thirteen year old has. But she hung around with a bad crowd at the time, namely my friends and I. She was naive, yet she possessed a bubbly, attractive intelligence rarely found in women twice her age. She was a truly happy girl in the world, even when people I knew made fun of her for her "immaturity," and enormous breasts. I liked her because of that intelligence, that spark, and I'm sure the breasts factored in as well (I was fifteen and sixteen, you know). But most of all, she had one of those physical charms that grasp one's attention, and shake it wildly about: almost jet-black hair, very straight and somewhat thick, with bright ice-blue eyes.

I knew her mother well, too. Her name was Liz, and she fronted a local band called the Lizband. They were excellent; pure rock and roll, a thing I find lacking these days. Because I knew both of them, it eventually came to pass that I began to spend a fair amount of time at their house. Emily and I would do little but spend time in each other's company. We would hold entirely French conversations. We would cuddle in front of the television, watching whatever show was on at the time. We would watch her brothers Sam and Eli play Nintendo 64. We would kiss, and kiss deeply. We would touch each other's bodies.

But it wasn't as if there was a relationship there; we were feeling each other, feeling for each other, because we felt inside a bond we shared. We also knew that to have a relationship with such a significant age difference, that it would be frowned upon by parents and friends. Perhaps we knew that having a true "relationship," in the boyfriend and girlfriend sense was wrong, anyway. Friends would say to me, "I know what you're doing with Emily, robbing the cradle, don't you think?" Perhaps. Maybe I was. But we didn't see it as such. Once, she came over to my house, lying to her father and saying, "Yeah dad, I'm going to the mall with 'X,' I'll be back at about eleven o'clock." A bald faced lie, as she immediately proceeded to my house, which was maybe two blocks from her father's. Neither of us truly knew why this happened, why we had to see each other. We just knew that the stars were brighter and the wind was warmer, and the sun shined more cheerfully when we spent a day in each other's arms.

We tested out all boundaries. I suppose that if things progressed (over a period of years) that she and I would have begun a sexual relationship. But the kinship we felt outweighed everything else. And now, I'm glad that it didn't proceed to sex. Sex has a way of, if you'll pardon the pun, screwing everything up. We had a true bond, a touching of spirits.

In truth, though I'm in a lovely, almost idyllic relationship now, I don't think that anything has ever compared to the way I feel about Emily. And I still feel it. When she phones - as infrequently as it is - I still feel an enormity of emotion swell in me, when I hear her joyful, happy voice talking so fast, but filled with such unhindered emotion, rising as it does with every circumstances she speaks of, every little detail of her life.

She is different now, but she's still my girl, sister, lover, friend. She's my person, one without possible compare. To coin a rather overused phrase, to compare her to anyone else would be like compare an apple to an orange. Even though she's not my picture of innocence any more (she told me about a particularly hardcore sexual experience of hers; it blew some privately held ideals about her away in an instant), she's still Emily. Even though she does drugs now, she's still my Emily. Even though she's going to university in the fall, she's still my girl, my thirteen year old charmer with eyes like a cool ocean in spring. I don't know how she did it, but she changed my life.

The X-files

Emily (part 2 of 2)
Episode: 5X07
First aired:11/30/97
Written by: John Shiban, Vince Gilligan and Frank Spotnitz
Directed by: Kim Manners

The conclusion to the two parter, starting with Christmas Carol. In Christmas Carol, Scully has learned that she is the biological mother of Emily, who is sick. Mulder and Scully search for the cure for Emily's illness while Scully struggles with personal feelings.

In a amazing dream, Scully walks through a sandstorm recounting her thoughts. She finds her gold cross necklace on the sand and dissolves into sand herself.

Mulder goes to San Diego the the Children's Center to visit Scully who is keeping an eye on Emily. Scully is attempting to gain custody of Emily and wants Mulder as a witness. Mulder has discoverd, through the help of Frohike, that Emily's mother is Anna Fugazzi, a slang term for fake.

Mulder warns Scully that the men behind the conspiracy will do anything to protect Emily, which may jeopardize Scully's custody. At the custody hearing, Mulder talks about Scully's past disappearance saying that Emily was conceived through a scientific experiment and that Emily is still Scully's daughter.

Scully gets another mysterious phone call which is traced to the Children's Center. Mulder and Scully rush there and find Emily very sick with a cyst on the back of her neck. A doctor attempts to do a biopsy on the cyst but it suddenly oozes a green, blubbling fluid that produces fumes that overwhelmes the doctor.

Emily's previous doctor refuses to transfer her medical records to the Children's Center and Mulder physically assaults him, warning him that he has to produce the reacods.

Mulder follows the doctor to a house where the doctor is killed by two men in dark suits using an alien gimlet. They assume his appearence. One of them men goes to the Center and injects Emily with a greenish fluid. Scully chases him through the hospital but he morphs into a stranger and she looses sight of him. Mulder feels that the fluid will not do Emily harm because the conspirators want to keep her alive and well, but he does not know why.

Mulder finds his way into a Retirement Home and discovers that elderly women including Anna Fugazzi were all given hormone injections and that they all gave birth a few years ago.

Emily's condition is worsening and she continues to undergo tests and therapy. Mulder discovers cylinders containing live human embryos floating in a greenish fluid and takes some samples. Leaving the building, Mulder is stopped by a detective who takes the samples from him. One of the morphing men appears. Mulder snatches the samples back and yells at the detective not to fire at the man. The detective shoots the man still and is overcome by fumes that come from greenish fluid oozing from the wound. The man morphs into the detective's form.

Emily slips into a coma and dies. At the funeral, Scully says that there is still evidence of what the men did to her. She lifts the casket led but only finds sandbags, one that has broken and spilled. She finds her gold necklace lying on the sand.


Important Quotes:
Scully -- "It begins where it ends... In nothingness. A nightmare born from deepest fears, coming to me unguarded. Whispering images unlocked from time and distance. A soul unbound - touched by others but never held. On a course charted by some unseen hand. The journey ahead promising no more than my past reflecting back upon me. Until at last, I reach the end. Facing a truth I can no longer deny. Alone, as ever."

Scully -- "She's gone into a coma. I'm okay, Mulder. It's what's meant to be."
Mulder -- "But if you could treat her..."
Scully -- "I wouldn't. I wouldn't do it to her."
Mulder -- "Are you sure?"
Scully -- "Mulder, whoever brought this child into this world... didn't intend to love her."
Mulder -- "I think she was born to... serve an agenda."
Scully -- "I have a chance to stop that. You were right. This child... was not meant to be."
Mulder -- "All right. I'll stay with you."
Scully -- "I think I'd like to be alone."

Scully -- "Who are the men who would create a life whose only hope was to die?"
Mulder -- "I don't know. But that you found her... and you had a chance to love her... then, maybe she was meant for that too."
Scully -- "She found me."
Mulder -- "So you could save her."


Back to The X-files: Season 5

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.