- What are some of my superpowers?
- Why are random people sending me private messages that start with "EDEV:" or "ONO: EDEV:"?
- What is the background of edev and it's relationship to the development of the site/source?
- What is with the "bug" nodetype?
- What is this "Edevify!" link thingy I see in my Epicenter nodelet?
- Does everybody have their own Everything site for hacking on?
- What is an edevite?
- What is an Edevdoc?
- Why did others (or, why should I) join the edev group?
- (TODO) How do we go about finding tasks here? If we have personal projects for the improvement of E2, what is the appropriate way to get started? Should I verify that what I'm thinking of is useful, or should I make it work and then submit source patches?
Q: What are some of my superpowers?
A: I wouldn't say superpowers, just powers. Anyway:
- You're a hash! (in the Other Users nodelet, edevites have a
%next to their name (which is only viewable by fellow edevites))
- You can see the source code for many things here. If you visit something like a superdoc (for example, this node), if you append
&displaytype=viewcodeto the URL, it will show the code that generates that node. When you have the Everything Developer nodelet turned on, you can more easily simply follow the little "viewcode" link (which only displays on nodes you may view the source for). For example, you can see this node's source by going here.
- You can see other random things, like dbtables (nodes and other things (like softlinks) are stored in tables in the database; viewing one shows the field names and storage types) and theme (a theme contains information about a generic theme).
- You can see/use List Nodes of Type, which lists nodes of a certain type. One example (ab)use of this is to get a list of rooms. nate in Edev First Post! (doesn't that sound like a troll title?) lists some other node types you may be interested in. Actually, you should probably read that anyway, it has other starting information, too.
- You have your own (well, shared with editors and admins) section in user settings 2. (As of the time this FAQ was written, there is only 1 setting there, which is explained in the next question.)
- You can Edevify things. See the later question for more information about this.
Q: Why/how are random people sending me private messages that have '(edev)' in front of them?
A (short) : They aren't random people, and they aren't sending to just you.
A (longer) : When somebody is a member of a usergroup, they can send a private message to that group, which will then be sent to everybody in that group. In this case, those "random people" are other people in the edev usergroup, and they're typing something like this in the chatterbox:
/msg edev Hi everybody, I'm Doctor Nick! Have you seen EDev FAQ yet?
and (assuming the other person is you), everybody in edev would then get a message that looks something like: