Divinity also called divinity fudge is a fluffy white or artificially tinted fudge made usually of sugar, corn syrup, egg whites, and flavoring, often with nuts. It first appears in printed records (most probably the newspaper) in 1910 along with canned pineapple. Divinity fudge no doubt has been around for much longer.

Divinity

2 2/3 Cup Sugar
2/3 cup Light Corn Syrup
1/2 Cup Water
2 Egg Whites
1 Teas Vanilla
Pecan halves (optional)

In a mixing bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, set aside.

In a heavy pan, mix sugar, syrup and water in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Cook without stirring to 260ºF, the hard ball stage on the candy thermomemter. Remove from heat and pour, beating constantly, in a fine stream- into the beaten egg whites. Add vanilla and continue beating until mixture holds its shape and becomes slightly dull. Fold in nuts. Drop quickly from a buttered spoon onto wax paper into individual peaks.

Makes 48 pieces.

Easy No Cook Divinity

1 package White Frosting Mix
1/3 cup Light Corn Syrup
½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
½ cup Boiling Water
1(16-ounce package) Powdered Sugar

In a small bowl, mix together frosting mix, corn syrup, vanilla extract and boiling water. Beat with an electric mixer on highest speed for about 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add powdered sugar.

Drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper. When outside of candy dry and feel firm to the touch, turn over with a knife.

Allow to dry for 12 hours or overnight. Store in airtight container.Divinity can be frozen in airtight container up to 2 months.

Makes 5 to 6 dozen candies.

Variations

Peppermint Divinity: Substitute 1/2 teaspoon Peppermint Extract for the Vanilla and 1 cup crushed peppermint candy for the nuts. If you wish, tint with few drops red or green food color while stirring in peppermint candy pieces to give it a swirl effect .

Spanish Crunch Divinity: Substitute dark corn syrup for the light and salted shelled Spanish Peanuts for the nuts.

Candied Cherry Delights: Substitute 1 teaspoon Almond Extract for the Vanilla and 1 cup chopped candied cherries for the nuts. If you wish, tint with few drops red food color.

Velvety divinity fudge make magical sweets to place in tins, these beautiful drops of rich albino sweetness, each topped with a perfect pecan half make a warm gift for the Holidays!

Di*vin"i*ty (?), n.; pl. Divinities (#). [F. divinit'e, L. divinitas. See Divine, a.]

1.

The state of being divine; the nature or essence of God; deity; godhead.

When he attributes divinity to other things than God, it is only a divinity by way of participation. Bp. Stillingfleet.

2.

The Deity; the Supreme Being; God.

This the divinity that within us. Addison.

3.

A pretended deity of pagans; a false god

.

Beastly divinities, and droves of gods. Prior.

4.

A celestial being, inferior to the supreme God, but superior to man.

God . . . employing these subservient divinities. Cheyne.

5.

Something divine or superhuman; supernatural power or virtue; something which inspires awe.

They say there is divinity in odd numbers. Shak.

There's such divinity doth hedge a king. Shak.

6.

The science of divine things; the science which treats of God, his laws and moral government, and the way of salvation; theology.

Divinity is essentially the first of the professions. Coleridge.

ase divinity, casuistry.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.