Dis*dain" (?; 277), n. [OE.desdain, disdein, OF. desdein, desdaing, F. dédain, fr. the verb. See Disdain, v.t.]

1.

A feeling of contempt and aversion; the regarding anything as unworthy of or beneath one; scorn.

How my soul is moved with just disdain!
Pope.

Often implying an idea of haughtiness.

Disdain and scorn ride sparkling in her eyes.
Shak.

2.

That which is worthy to be disdained or regarded with contempt and aversion.

[Obs.]

Most loathsome, filthy, foul, and full of vile disdain.
Spenser.

3.

The state of being despised; shame.

[Obs.]

Shak.

Syn. -- Haughtiness; scorn; contempt; arrogance; pride. See Haughtiness.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dis*dain" Disdaining.] [OE. disdainen, desdainen, OF. desdeigner, desdaigner, F. dédaigner; des- (L. dis-) + daigner to deign, fr. L. dignari to deem worthy. See Deign.]

1.

To think unworthy; to deem unsuitable or unbecoming; as, to disdain to do a mean act.

Disdaining . . . that any should bear the armor of the best knight living.
Sir P. Sidney.

2.

To reject as unworthy of one's self, or as not deserving one's notice; to look with scorn upon; to scorn, as base acts, character, etc.

When the Philistine . . . saw Dawid, he disdained him; for he was but a youth.
1 Sam. xvii. 42.

'T is great, 't manly to disdain disguise.
Young.

Syn. -- To contemn; despise; scorn. See Contemn.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dis*dain", v. i.

To be filled with scorn; to feel contemptuous anger; to be haughty.

And when the chief priests and scribes saw the marvels that he did . . . they disdained.
Genevan Testament (Matt. xxi. 15).

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.