Dis*cern" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Discerned (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Discerning.] [F. discerner, L. discernere, discretum; dis- + cernere to separate, distinguish. See Certain, and cf. Discreet.]

1.

To see and identify by noting a difference or differences; to note the distinctive character of; to discriminate; to distinguish.

To discern such buds as are fit to produce blossoms. Boyle.

A counterfeit stone which thine eye can not discern from a right stone. Robynson (More's Utopia).

2.

To see by the eye or by the understanding; to perceive and recognize; as, to discern a difference.

And [I] beheld among the simple ones, I discerned among the youths, a young man void of understanding. Prov. vii. 7.

Our unassisted sight . . . is not acute enough to discern the minute texture of visible objects. Beattie.

I wake, and I discern the truth. Tennyson.

Syn. -- To perceive; distinguish; discover; penetrate; discriminate; espy; descry; detect. See Perceive.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dis*cern", v. i.

1.

To see or understand the difference; to make distinction; as, to discern between good and evil, truth and falsehood.

More than sixscore thousand that cannot discern between their right hand their left. Jonah iv. 11.

2.

To make cognizance.

[Obs.]

Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.