A functional item of clothing worn as an undergarment by infants and toddlers to keep crap and piss contained until the garment can be thrown away or washed.

The internal, absorbant part of a disposable diaper usually consists of a type of wood cellulose fiber, and polyacrylate. The external part of the diaper is made of polypropylene, polyester, and polyethylene. (Notice they're all synthetic.) The straps are usually made of synthetic rubber.

The polyacrylate absorbents inside the diaper can also turn liquid into a sort of gel.

Di"a*per (?), n. [OF. diaspre, diapre, diaspe, sort of figured cloth, It. diaspro jasper, diaspo figured cloth, from L.jaspis a green-colored precious stone. See Jasper.]

1.

Any textile fabric (esp. linen or cotton toweling) woven in diaper pattern. See 2.

2. Fine Arts

Surface decoration of any sort which consists of the constant repetition of one or more simple figures or units of design evenly spaced.

3.

A towel or napkin for wiping the hands, etc.

Let one attend him with a silver basin, . . . Another bear the ewer, the third a diaper. Shak.

4.

An infant's breechcloth.

 

© Webster 1913.


Di"a*per (?), v. t.

1.

To ornament with figures, etc., arranged in the pattern called diaper, as cloth in weaving.

"Diapered light."

H. Van Laun.

Engarlanded and diapered With in wrought flowers. Tennyson.

2.

To put a diaper on (a child).

 

© Webster 1913.


Di"a*per, v. i.

To draw flowers or figures, as upon cloth.

"If you diaper on folds."

Peacham.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.