Delirium tremens is a very... intense... form of alcohol (or Everything) withdrawal. Occuring 2 to 3 days after the last drink, this state has all the classic withdrawal symptoms with a 'profoundly altered sensorium' thrown in.

In other words, you've got a massive hangover, intense anxiety, you're hyperventilating, your blood pressure and heart rate are through the roof, and you are in a total and complete hallucinatory world, with nothing real coming in.

The most common symptoms for self-diagnosis of caffeine addiction related delirium tremens is the inability to operate the chosen caffeine producing equipment due to drastically lowered dexterity and the inability to organize the procedure into atomic steps that may be carried out in a linear order. This may result in:
  1. lack of awareness that sensitive body parts should be covered before engaging in culinary operations
  2. spilling boiling water on sensitive body parts
  3. trying to add dried caffeine-bearing substance to water before, rather than after, heating water
  4. gloop in the bottom of the water boiling device that later causes you to throw out and replace device rather than explain to roommates/parents/SO the circumstances in which it got there
The following symptoms are not suitable for self-diagnosis of caffeine addiction related delirium tremens as they are experienced in a broad range of caffeine addiction cases which don't necessarily feature delirium tremens:
  1. inability to sleep due to lack of blood in the caffeine stream.
  2. caffeine craving being the first sentient thought on waking
  3. use of caffeine craving as a motivating agent to get the user out of bed after a duration of sleep
  4. ;

[Ed. node (Gz): fixed list tags 12/28/2001]

Delirium tremens (DTs) can occur 12 hours to 2-3 days after quitting drinking. It's the most severe form of withdrawal from alcohol. The person experiences auditory, visual, and tactile hallucinations and severe delusions.

Ten percent of people who get DTs die from it.
Delirium Tremens may be defined as
A state of fevered agitation, trembling of the appendages, hallucination and troubled consciousness, attributable to alcoholic intoxication.

Attributing Delirium tremens to caffeine withdrawal has also been mentioned however this is only related to sharing a single common symptom that is the first indicator of the condition : fine tremor. The "morning shakes", or any other name one assigns to this common after-effect of severe alcohol withdrawal is also experienced with withdrawal of stimulants (hence caffeine) and certain drugs like salbutamol (US : albuterol) used in the treatment of asthma as a bronchodilator.



Delirium Tremens is also a Belgian beer found within lovely white ceramic bottles with pink elephants on the label like a treasure of gold inside an unlikely chest. It was voted ‘Best Beer in the World’ by specialists in 1997. It is brewed using three different yeasts giving a light copper colour and a surprisingly compact and abundant head. Wheat and barley feature quite prominently in the blend and there is also a subtle hint of coriander and orange.

Above 9% alcohol content should explain the reason behind the name of this fabulous brew.

The beer is brewed by the Huyghe brewery, which has been in existence since 1654 and now exports 65% of their production from Belgium.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.