The death metal scene is divided into many sub-genres.

The american death metal scene (also known as "Florida death") created bands like Morbid Angel, Death and Deicide, bands that still make music and tour the globe.

The European scene quickly grew strong, especially in Sweden. Entombed pretty much started the Swedish death metal revolution, and bands like Dismember, Edge of Sanity and Hypocrisy followed. The Sunlight studio in Stockholm became the studio of choice for many of these bands, and the studio became reknown for its special sound.

Later in the 90's, the metal scene in Gothenburg (Göteborg) on the Swedish west coast flourished and created a sub-genre often referred to as "the Gothenburg sound". These bands often played a melodic kind of metal heavily influenced by 80's metal bands like Iron Maiden. At the Gates, In Flames and Dark Tranquillity are typical examples of the Gothenburg sound. The Swedish death metal scene later spawned new bands who created their own unique sound by combining elements from death metal, thrash metal and classic heavy metal. Although very different from each other, some of these bands are Arch Enemy, Opeth and the different works of Dan Swanö.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.