Dark Chocolate Decadence Brownies

A few weeks ago, I had an overwhelming urge to bake brownies. It wasn't to eat them, though that wasn't far off my mind either. Being the culinary compulsive person I am, this urge could only be satisfied by making them from scratch, despite the fact that my homemade baking technique lacked a certain je ne sai quoi. So I grabbed a case of dutch process dark chocolate unsweetened cocoa powder because it seemed to be the shiniest thing in front of me at the moment.

So I went to the internet to help scratch this urge and discovered that dutch processed unsweetend cocoa powder screwed me over because of it's lack of chemical reactivity. Alas, woe was me. So I turned to look for baking theory help and some conversion tables. Jury rigging a few things, I came up with the following recipe that I ended up brining to my office Thanksgiving potluck:

Dark Chocolate Decadence Brownies
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 stick unsalted butter (or 1/4 a pound)
  • 2 cups, 4 tbsp, and 2 tsp of plain white sugar
  • 3/4 cup Dark Chocolate Dutch Process Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
  • 4 tbsp vegtable oil
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
  • 1 cup of Walnuts
  • 1/2 cup Heath Bar Bits
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Grease a 9x13 pan.
  3. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
  4. Melt the butter over low heat.
  5. Mix the melted butter, oil, cocoa powder, and 4 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons sugar until smooth in a medium bowl.
  6. Barely beat the eggs in another bowl.
  7. Add the sugar and vanilla to the eggs. Whisk until incorporated.
  8. Add the egg mixture to the butter mixture and blend till smooth.
  9. Fold in the flour mix.
  10. Pour the brownie batter into the greased pan and bake for 25 minutes. We used a glass pan. Metal pans may have to adjust your time. Brownies should have risen a great amount, but not yet be set.
  11. Quickly, put the walnuts on top. The longer you have the brownies out, the longer they'll take to finish. Put back in the oven for 10 more minutes. The walnuts will be shifted around as the mix rises still.
  12. Turn off oven. Brownies should have fallen a little bit but still be kind of molten on the inside. Put the white chocolate and heath bars bits on top. Place back into cooling oven. Let chocolate melt. Wait for it all to cool.
  13. Enjoy!

At the end of it all, you should have a very dark brownie with a contrasting and yummy topping. It's not so diabetic friendly though, but choco-holics should love it. These brownies are pretty rich though, so I wouldn't suggest eating more than one or two bars at a time.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.