The weird feeling you get when you remember a scene or event when you know you're actually experiencing it for the first time. Some people take it as evidence that they've lived a past life, but more than likely, it's just an uncommon but harmless chemical or electrical blip in your brain.

Déjà vu is often a fairly enjoyable thing to experience (especially when you have double-déjà -- the "I've experienced this period of déjà vu at least twice before" event) but it's not anything you want to base life lessons or philosophy on.

From the French, meaning "already seen." The feeling that your current experience is a repetition of a past one.

Maybe it's caused by perceptual data getting into your memory sooner than it reaches your conscious perception.

See also

You are waking from a stupor that feels like a chronic headache after a week in Vegas. You notice your right palm is covered with dried blood, but you can neither see nor feel any wounds. You feel a sharp pain on your left forearm. Rolling up the sleeve, you find a tiny puncture on your arm. 'Has a doctor injected me with a medicine?' Then you realize you can't remember who you are!! You have no idea where you are and why you're here. You have no memory... whatsoever!!

With those ominous words begins Deja Vu, one of the true classics of the Nintendo Entertainment System. Released by Kemco in 1990, it was a very unique game: a point and click film noir detective adventure. With the game engine from Kemco's classic Shadowgate, you play as Ace Harding, Private Eye. However, as the above quote indicates, Ace has amnesia. He has to unravel a mystery involving the kidnapping of a wealthy woman, and how it ties into the murder of Mob boss Joey Siegel, all the while trying to regain your own sense of self.

After it's release, Kemco announced Deja Vu II: Lost in Las Vegas. However, due to the poor sales of the original, it wasn't released until 2000, combined with the original game as Deja Vu: From the Casebooks of Ace Harding on Game Boy Color.

The weird feeling you get when you remember a scene or event when you know you're actually experiencing it for the first time. Some people take it as evidence that they've lived a past life, but more than likely, it's just an uncommon but harmless chemical or electrical blip in your brain. Déjà vu is often a fairly enjoyable thing to experience (especially when you have double-déjà--the "I've experienced this period of déjà vu at least twice before" event) but it's not anything you want to base life lessons or philosophy on.

Steve had Schrodinger’s beard. Essentially, Steve would let his beard grow for several weeks at a time, then shave it all off. Dave, unlike Steve, actually had a job, and thus was at work most of the day. During this time, Dave had no way of telling if Steve did or did not presently have a beard. Thus, the beard could be said to both exist and not exist simultaneously until such a time as Dave got home.

Tonight, Steve’s beard did exist. It was at least four times thicker than his hair, which given he was mostly bald wasn’t that hard to achieve.

“Hey, did you hear release candidate 2 of Firefox is out? Check it out!”

“Why don’t you fix your own bloody computer and check it out yourself?”

“But you can download and play with it now!”

“It will download itself if it wants. I’m happy to let it.”

“But I want to try it.”

“So fix your own computer and try it. Fucking hell.”

Dave navigated towards a page about video games. The theory was that Steve would find it exceedingly uninteresting and leave the room, allowing Dave to do as he wished without Steve watching him. Like look at porn, for instance.

“So what’s this site about?”

At that moment, Dave experienced a very strong sense of Deja Vu. Not like the ordinary Deja Vu, feeling like you have been here before, but more, feeling like he had felt this very Deja Vu before, a recursive loop into panic.

“I’ve been here before!” Dave said, hyperventilating, getting to his feet. “I’ve been here before! This has happened already! You were standing there, and asked me that, and I was at this site, in this room, and felt Deja Vu, and…”

Everything was spinning. He fell to the floor as realisation flooded him, memories returning.

“Hello Dave.”

“Who are you?”

“I am the devil, Dave. Don't you remember me?”

Dave looked around. Three exits. He ran, each door locked.

Open the doors!”

I’m afraid I can’t do that, Dave. I thought you would have remembered the doors were locked. You tried that last time. Every time.”

“Where am I? Is this some kind of joke? I’ve been here before!” It was coming all coming back to him, the truth of these words apparant.

“You’ve forgotten the agreement again.” It was a statement of fact, suggesting no surprise.

“What agreement?”

“Do you like your life Dave? Do you consider it a success?”

“Yes I do. What the hell?”

“Now now, Dave, Lying is a sin. You could end up in hell you know.”

The Devil smiled.

“Ok, No, I’m not. I have a crap job I hate and go to every day, I’m sick of my housemate, my house is shit and falling apart, my love life is perpetually non-existent. Can I go now?” He sounded scared by this point.

“Dave, you’re an asshole. I’m proud of you. You claim to be good but you’re just a selfish prick after his own end. Why do you think people don’t like you?”

Dave was speechless.

“You’ve been here before. Many, many times. You failed, Dave, you wasted your life and so, you were doomed to live in it forever. To repeat, over and over. Ever heard of reincarnation? Of Hell? You can escape, by getting it right. But you never know to. Every time, you make the same stupid mistakes, over and over. It’s rather funny. Because, here’s the best part: You don’t know it. Every now and again, you experience a sense of Deja Vu. You remember, just for a moment your destiny, and you know. But a second later, it’s all gone – you feel it deep down, but you’ll never fully grasp it. This is your hell. This is all of your hells. That is the truth of the matter. You all get to live your lives over and over again. Heaven or hell, it’s what you make it. You Dave, shall make it hell for all eternity.”

“Bullshit. Let me out of this place.”

“Search your feelings, you know it to be true. Do you know how sweet it is to be me? To watch you idiots blow yourselves up in your wars, over and over?”

“Shut up!”

Denial and anger. Pathetic and predictable. You do the same thing every time. Do you know what hopelessness is?”

“Shut up! You can’t win, I’ll remember!”

His voice showed he knew very well what hopelessness was. The expression on his face showed he remembered, remembered having this conversation so many times before he could not count.

“I’ll remember!”

“No you won’t. You never do.”

“I will!”

“You will what?” Steve’s voice.

Dave took note of his surroundings – he was still at his computer.

“Woah, zoned out there. Really weird Deja Vu

Inside, he had an empty feeling, but couldn’t explain why.

-----------------------------------

A companion to Oblivion. Part of Fearquest

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.