Before we begin: I'm really not the best person to provide this writeup, as I have only the most vague understanding of its meaning. However it's a concept I refer to a lot, so I'm noding what I use it to mean.
The idea that something is inherently
better because it is original
the value of a thing by its origin, background, previous ownership &c
, instead of its intrinsic self-contained properties.
- Owning Kurt Cobain's guitar
- Eating genuinely foreign food purely because it's 'more real'
- Prizing an original Fender Stratocaster guitar over others in its price range
- Liking a book because it was written by your favourite author
- Watching anime with subtitles rather than dubbed voices
Assuming for a moment that this is a somewhat derogatory
expression, it's obviously very easy to justify these kinds of activities in other ways. I take the last four examples from my own life.
My justification for the anime
one is that the original voices are under directorial control
, leaving the message of the work stronger and less polluted by third parties.
I have a dim recollection
that Andy Warhol
may have coined this phrase. Or was that the cult of celebrity
? Don't quote me on that