Living in a postmodern world, we have at least three ways to represent different kinds of information. These ways are text, intertext, and context.

The text means any sequence of sensible information. It can be a book, a letter, a dialog, anything. At Everything2, a good example of text is a writeup's content. To make a good writeup, you have to fill it with good text that makes sense.

Intertext, or hypertext, is a set of implied links between text objects (documents, or messages, or nodes). Good examples of intertext are references in science literature, or Web hyperlinks, or hard links in Everything2.

The third way is the context. It is the field of associations between text objects, forming while the text is dealing with objects in outer world. For example, the set of readers who read some book is the part of this book's context. Books which share the same subject are part of this context too.

Technologies dealing with context are called 'context-oriented'. There are many examples of context-oriented technologies applied within the Internet. When you are buying book at Amazon.com, you can see the set of other books that you might have been interested in. It is one of such examples. And of course, context-oriented techologies exist at Everything2. They are soft links. Personalization, clusterization, intention-driven systems - all of this is context-oriented.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.