From The Thorough Good Cook

Soups: 2. Consomme (White Stock)

The leg is the most useful part of veal for this purpose, though, for large dinners, there are other pieces which can also be used with it. The inside part of the leg is a fleshy fillet without sinews: this should be taken out when you wish to serve a fricandeau, the remainder of the leg of veal cut in pieces, with about two pounds of lean ham; if you have a fowl that is too old for any other purpose, it will add to the excellence of the broth; put the whole into a stew-pan, with a quart of not too strong beef broth; set the stew-pan over a charcoal fire to soak the juice out of the meat, which operation should take about n-n hour's time, and, of course, is to be regulated by the fire kept under it; special attention must be paid that it does not burn ; frequently shake the stew-pan, that the contents may not stick to any part of it; when the juice is reduced to the consistence of glaze, of a nice rich colour, fill up the stew-pan with clear beef broth, and let it boil slowly by the side of the fire for three hours ; remove all the fat, and pass the consomme through a napkin or fine cloth into one or two basins. If the weather is warm, it is better to divide the broth, for by keeping. too great a quantity in one vessel, it is apt to grow sour before it is cold. Clear, light stock is a highly important preparation in cookery, any failure in which proves fatal to the whole dinner, therefore no care or attention should be spared in order that it may be had in perfection.

Con`som`me" (?), n. [F., lit. p.p. of consommer to finish.] Cookery

A clear soup or bouillion boiled down so as to be very rich.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.