On the WWW a little navigator window that pops up and purports to help you in your navigation.
Apparently a neat idea, it normally sits right on top of what you would like to read right now. Some sites reach the top of obnoxiousness by forcing you to have the stupid console open - a piece of Javascript is used to check for the console and reopen it.

Very common in pornography sites, best buddy of the blind link.

Console aka Martin Gretschmann is an artist currently being distributed by Matador Records in the Americas. You might remember the name, he was a synth twiddler with the Notwist. His sound is experimental, catchy and full of melodies and unexpected twists. His new album Rocket In The Pocket is amazing, highly recommended.

14 Zero Zero is the best pop song i have heard in a long frickin time. A song from a computer to it's programmer. Must hear, must listen.

Over the last couple years the media has taken to calling video game platforms "consoles." Today the premiere consoles are Sony Playstation, Sony Playstation 2, and the aging Nintendo 64. Impressive consoles around the corner include the Microsoft X-box and the Nintendo GameCube. The Sega Dreamcast was a console which failed dramatically.

Many tech insiders believe that as consoles continue to grow more powerful, with hard drives, DVD players, Internet access, USB and/or Firewire connectivity, and flat-out amazing graphics, traditional PCs will experience a dramatic decline in gaming activity.

considered harmful = C = console jockey

console n.

1. The operator's station of a mainframe. In times past, this was a privileged location that conveyed godlike powers to anyone with fingers on its keys. Under Unix and other modern timesharing OSes, such privileges are guarded by passwords instead, and the console is just the tty the system was booted from. Some of the mystique remains, however, and it is traditional for sysadmins to post urgent messages to all users from the console (on Unix, /dev/console). 2. On microcomputer Unix boxes, the main screen and keyboard (as opposed to character-only terminals talking to a serial port). Typically only the console can do real graphics or run X.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Con*sole" (?), v. t. [imp. & p.p. Consoled (?); p.pr. & vb.n. Consoling.] [L. consolari,. p.p. consolatus; con- + solari to console, comfort: cf. F. consoler. See Solace.]

To cheer in distress or depression; to alleviate the grief and raise the spirits of; to relieve; to comfort; to soothe.

And empty heads console with empty sound. Pope.

I am much consoled by the reflection that the religion of Christ has been attacked in vain by all the wits and philosophers, and its triumph has been complete. P. Henry.

Syn. -- To comfort; solace; soothe; cheer; sustain; encourage; support. See Comfort.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con"sole (?), n. [F.] Arch. (a)

A bracket whose projection is not more than half its height.

(b)

Any small bracket; also, a console table.

Console table, a table whose top is supported by two or more consoles instead of legs.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.