The amount of particles in a fixed volume. For example, there is a greater saline concentration in a glass of salt water as opposed to a glass of fresh water. This is because there are more salt particles in the former in the same volume.

In terms of the collision theory, the greater the concentration, the greater the collision frequency. This means more particles will have the necessary kinetic energy to form the activated complex.

A NBC game show that debuted in 1958.

Also, a Milton Bradley game (with similar rules to the game show). The game is basically an memory game with a few bells and whistles:
  • Cards are arranged in a grid. One one side of each card is one of a set of pictures (there are two cards with each picture in the set). On the other side, is a number (or nothing). Cards are placed with the blank (or numeric) side up, in a random order
  • Players take turns. A turn consists of flipping over 2 cards. If they match, the player takes them, and gets another turn. Otherwise, they are flipped back, and play proceeds to the next player. When the board is empty, the game is over. The person with the most cards wins.
There are more rules - for example, certain cards cause specific events to happen when they are matched - but they're fairly unimportant to the game.
Also a game played by bored english schoolkids, brownies, boy scouts, and anyone else in an after-school club.

You sit round in a circle and assign a number to each child (for it's usually children who play this). You then tap twice on your knees, click twice (once with each hand) and say (while tapping)

Concentration: are you ready: if so: let's go. You speak on the knee taps and not at any other time.
Then person one goes 'one to two', two goes 'two to five', five goes 'five to n', n goes 'n to whatever' and so on.

It sounds very confusing, but if you miss your reply or hesitate (in the same manner as Mallet's Mallet) then you're out and you lose. I am not sure how you determine the absolute winner, as when there are only 2 people left it must get fairly easy. Perhaps someone could enlighten me on this.

"Concentration" premiered on NBC on August 25, 1958, at 11:30 A.M. Eastern time.

A mechanical game board was divided into 30 numbered squares, most hiding the names of prizes. Two contestants called out numbers to try to match two squares with the same prize behind them. If the contestant made a match, they would take possession of that prize, and the squares they had picked spun around to reveal part of a pictorial rebus. The first contestant to solve the rebus won the prizes they had matched.

Some of the prizes listed were gag prizes (similar to the zonk prizes on "Let's Make a Deal" but existing in name only). Also hiding behind the board were squares reading "Take," "Give," and "Wild." The wild card meant an automatic match with a prize, and three parts of the rebus being revealed. "Take" gave the contestant the opportunity to steal a prize from their opponent's list, while "Give" forced the contestant to pass one of their prizes to their opponent, which meant the gag prizes came in handy.

Although the format sounded simple, "Concentration" ended up as the longest-running game show in NBC history. Hugh Downs was the host for the first 11 years; at the beginning of 1969, when he finally got tired of hosting both "Concentration" and the "Today" show every morning, announcer Bob Clayton became the host. He was replaced by Ed McMahon a few months later, and then returned as host six months after that, staying until the show went off NBC on March 23, 1973.

Jack Barry also hosted a weekly prime time version in 1958 that was a temporary emergency replacement for "Twenty-One"; a prime time version also aired in 1961 with Hugh Downs doing double duty as host.

After NBC canceled "Concentration," Mark Goodson and Bill Todman leased the rights to the format and produced a syndicated version with host Jack Narz, which lasted from the fall of 1973 until 1978. A bonus round was added in which the winning contestant had to quickly solve two rebuses in order to win a car.

"Concentration" returned to NBC's daytime schedule on May 4, 1987, now with the title "Classic Concentration" and host Alex Trebek. There were now only 25 squares on the computer-generated board, and the gag prizes and "Give" cards were gone.

In the bonus round on this version, the winning contestant could win one of eight cars parked on the set by making seven matches on a board of 15 squares, winning the last car matched. The allotted amount of time began at 35 seconds and increased by five seconds every time the game was lost.

A couple of years after "Classic Concentration" premiered, it inexplicably gained a neon palm tree on the set, and Alex Trebek's wardrobe switched from suits to sweaters.

"Classic Concentration" last aired on NBC on the last day of 1993. Since NBC controls the rerun rights, it is unlikely old "Concentration" or "Classic Concentration" episodes will show up on Game Show Network in the near future.

Con`cen*tra"tion (?), n. [Cf. F. concentration.]

1.

The act or process of concentrating; the process of becoming concentrated, or the state of being concentrated; concentration.

Concentration of the lunar beams. Boyle.

Intense concetration of thought. Sir J. Herschel.

2.

The act or process of reducing the volume of a liquid, as by evaporation.

The acid acquires a higher degree of concentration. Knight.

3. Metal.

The act or process of removing the dress of ore and of reducing the valuable part to smaller compass, as by currents of air or water.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.