As far as medieval armor goes, a coif is a padded chain mail hood. A coif is usually lined with soft leather and covers the head and neck area, while leaving the face uncovered. A coif is most often combined with chain mail or heavier armor.

A more heavily armored knight will often combine a coif with a great helm for the ultimate in headgear. This also allows the knight to remove his helmet for a better view of any situation, while still maintaining some head protection.

One drawback to the coif is that is significantly muffles incoming sound. Making some communication in the heat of battle difficult.

Coif (koif), n. [OF. coife, F. coiffe, LL. cofea, cuphia, fr. OHG. kuppa, kuppha, miter, perh. fr. L. cupa tub. See Cup, n. ; but cf. also Cop, Cuff the article of dress, Quoif, n.]

A cap. Specifically: (a) A close-fitting cap covering the sides of the head, like a small hood without a cape. (b) An official headdress, such as that worn by certain judges in England.

[Writting also quoif.]

From point and saucy ermine down To the plain coif and russet gown. H. Brocke.

The judges, . . . althout they are not of the first magnitude, nor need be of the degree of the coif, yet are they considerable. Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.


Coif (koif), v. t. [Cf. F. coiffer.]

To cover or dress with, or as with, a coif.

And coif me, where I'm bald, with flowers. J. G. Cooper.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.