Or, LaggedyAnne's Not-So-World-Famous Chocolate-Cherry Pie

You will need:

2 21 oz. cans of cherry pie filling
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chunks 
2 Tbs. minced crystallized ginger
1 egg
small amount of flour
2 dough rounds (soft pie shells)

an oven
a mixing bowl
wax paper
a pie plate (pan you bake pie in)
a sweet tooth, of course

Directions:

Heat your oven to 450 F. Press one of the dough rounds into the bottom of the pie plate. Don't squish the dough into the pan, but do press firmly for best results.

Get a mixing bowl. Put the cans of pie filling, the ginger, and the chocolate chunks into said bowl. Stir it up, baby!

Spoon this ooey, gooey, most deliciously sweet mixture into the pie crust.

Have you ever wondered how pies get those criss-crossed doughy goodness at the top of them? Here's what you do: take that second dough round you bought and put it on a lightly floured piece of wax paper. Cut the round into strips (usually 10 or 12; some even number) and arrange them in a lattice over the filling. 5 go ///// this way and 5 go \\\\\ that way. It should look like little X's or checkers all over the top. Isn't that precious?

Once you're done patting yourself on the back, pinch those little dough strips with the edges of the pie, so that you get a shapely edge. Now comes the egg.

In a tiny bowl, crack the egg and beat it. That's right, beat it! Take a cook's brush or paper towel (use your imagination) and lightly brush the egg--not too much--over the top layer of dough.

Bake your pie for 25 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the cherry filling is bubbling up to heaven.

Wait for it to cool; on a baker's rack if you have one. I do not recommend letting your pie cool in a window; people will smell this confection and steal it!!

Goes great with milk, Cool Whip, or ice cream. 


Note: If you're fond of graham cracker crusts (and I am), an alternate pie could have a graham cracker crust with graham cracker crumbles instead of the upper lattice.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.