chip - as in food, usually made from slices of potato and then fried or baked.

To modify a consumer electronics device (games console, DVD player, mobile phone, etc) by soldering an aditional chip (PIC or ROM) onto a circuit board inside the device. This is generally done to circumvent a security measure built into the device. (Eg, region coding, copy protection, or revenue collection.)

See also: mod chip

Chip magazine is also a monthly computer magazine that deals with general computer issues, and has been around for a while. It is a very serious publication, but without being dry. Chip does not "specialize" on a specific operating system, they also bring Linux news, and occasionally even test different distributions. They usually also do tests on all sorts of hardware and software.

Chip magazine is one of the few computer publications available around the world, and can be found in the US and most of Europe. I believe it is also available in Japan.

Chip (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Chipped (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Chipping.] [Cf. G. kippen to cut off the edge, to clip, pare. Cf. Chop to cut.]

1.

To cut small pieces from; to diminsh or reduce to shape, by cutting away a little at a time; to hew.

Shak.

2.

To break or crack, or crack off a portion of, as of an eggshell in hatching, or a piece of crockery.

3.

To bet, as with chips in the game of poker.

To chip in, to contribute, as to a fund; to share in the risks or expenses of. [Slang. U. S.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Chip, v. i.

To break or fly off in small pieces.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chip, n.

1.

A piece of wood, stone, or other substance, separated by an ax, chisel, or cutting instrument.

2.

A fragment or piece broken off; a small piece.

3.

Wood or Cuban palm leaf split into slips, or straw plaited in a special manner, for making hats or bonnets.

4.

Anything dried up, withered, or without flavor; -- used contemptuously.

5.

One of the counters used in poker and other games.

6. Naut.

The triangular piece of wood attached to the log line.

Buffalo chips. See under Buffalo. -- Chip ax, a small ax for chipping timber into shape. -- Chip bonnet, Chip hat, a bonnet or a hat made of Chip. See Chip, n., 3. -- A chip off the old block, a child who resembles either of his parents. [Colloq.] Milton.- Potato chips, Saratoga chips, thin slices of raw potato fried crisp.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.