I am like my great-grandmother; I do not really measure things when I cook. Or I measure, and then add some more. I put in what looks right. Anyway, I actually have a recipe for this; I got it from my mom. She does measure.

Cheddar Broccoli Corn Casserole

Arrange 20 ounces of broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces, in the bottom of a casserole dish. You will be covering them with the cheese/corn sauce and then a crunchy layer of pretzel bits or cornflake crumbs which have been tossed with some melted butter.

sauce 2 tablespoons margarine or butter (you will need an additional 2 tbsp. later) 2 tablespoons of flour ¼ teaspoon of salt 1 ½ cup milk (I use nonfat) 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese; I just chop mine up. I hate using the grater. 12 ounce can of whole corn, drained

topping 2 tablespoons butter or margarine ½ cup cornflake crumbs (I use smashed-up pretzel bits)

Preheat oven to 350.

Melt butter in saucepan; whisk in flour; add milk. Add salt, too. (I made this just a few hours ago, and misread my copy of the recipe, and put a half cup of pretzel bits into the sauce. No biggie, but if you’re going to do that, then another quarter teaspoon of salt is probably redundant.) Add cheese.

Open can of corn, inform cats that the can opener was not calling to them and shoo them from the kitchen, drain corn, and dump into the sauce. When everything is melted and mixed together, pour this over the broccoli.

Melt the other 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan, and mix with the ½ cup of pretzel bits/cornflake crumbs to make the topping. Sprinkle on top of the mixture, cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil, and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Then take the aluminum foil off, and bake for another 10 minutes, for a total of 30.

Enjoy!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.