Cel"e*brate (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Celebrated; p. pr. & vb. n. Celebrating.] [L. celebratus, p. p. of celebrare to frequent, to celebrate, fr. celeber famous.]

1.

To extol or honor in a solemn manner; as, to celebrate the name of the Most High.

2.

To honor by solemn rites, by ceremonies of joy and respect, or by refraining from ordinary business; to observe duly; to keep; as, to celebrate a birthday.

Fron even unto shall ye celebrate your Sabbath. Lev. xxiii. 32.

3.

To perforn or participate in, as a sacrament or solemn rite; to solemnize; to perform with appropriate rites; as, to celebrate a marriage.

Syn. -- To commemorate; distinguish; honor. -- To Celebrate, Commemorate. We commemorate events which we desire to keep in remembrance, when we recall them by some special observace; as, to commemorate the death of our Savior. We celebrate by demonstrations of joy or solemnity or by appropriate ceremonies; as, to celebrate the birthday of our Independence.

We are called upon to commemorate a revolution as surprising in its manner as happy in its consequences. Atterbury.

Earth, water, air, and fire, with feeling glee, Exult to celebrate thy festival. Thomson.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.