Sparkling wine, very similar to champagne.

In 1972 the "Consejo Regulador de Vinos Espumosos" ( Regulator Council of Sparkling Wines) was created, equivalent to Denomination of Origin. The Spanish adhesion to EEC meant that Cava was acknowledged as a sparkling wine of quality in a certain region and in 1991 a new own Regulation for Denomination was established. In 1993 was created the first Consejo Regulador del Cava (Regulator Council of Cava) according the new regulation and the European Union rules.

The origin of Cava is associated to the splendor of Catalan viticulture in the middle of XIXth century and to the Champagne renown towards the end of XVIIIth century. The studies of microbiology carried out by Louis Pasteur applied to wine, involved a control of the second fermentation in the bottle and the discovery of cork allowed to avoid the losing of bubbles produced in wine. The traditional method or Champenoise was born this way.

In XIXth century some families from Sant Sadurní d’Anoia started to investigate that new technique of elaboration applied to vineyards on the area. As a result of their studies and attempts vinculated to the prestigious Institut Agrícola Català de Sant Isidre, they chose the autochthonous varieties of white grape. Cava was born consequently achieving its own peculiar identity different from any other sparkling wine of quality.

In 1872 Josep Raventós i Fatjó, from the historical house Codorniu, elaborates the first 3.000 bottles of Cava following the traditional method of second fermentation in bottle. It is his son and heir, Don Manuel Raventós i Domenech, who initiates the expansion and consolidation of the enterprise. Other producers from the town start also their elaboration and Sant Sadurní d’Anoia becomes the main capital of Cava.

Along the decade of 1920, Cava was already consolidated into the Spanish market, and it culminated its expansion in the 1960 decade and saw the international consolidation in the 1980 decade. Today it is one of the most dynamic and successful vitiviniculture sectors in the essentially Catalan vitiviniculture, anticipating a total production of about 200.000 bottles per year in 1999 that will arrive to all consumers in the world.

more info? check http://crcava.es/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.