1. To go; to hurry. 2. To cash, as a bad check or counterfeit money. 3. To become enraged. "Watch that D.A. bounce when I spring my alibi; it's a whip (extraordinary)!"

- american underworld dictionary - 1950

bottom-up implementation = B = bounce message

bounce v.

1. [common; perhaps by analogy to a bouncing check] An electronic mail message that is undeliverable and returns an error notification to the sender is said to `bounce'. See also bounce message.

2. [Stanford] To play volleyball. The now-demolished D. C. Power Lab building used by the Stanford AI Lab in the 1970s had a volleyball court on the front lawn. From 5 P.M. to 7 P.M. was the scheduled maintenance time for the computer, so every afternoon at 5 would come over the intercom the cry: "Now hear this: bounce, bounce!", followed by Brian McCune loudly bouncing a volleyball on the floor outside the offices of known volleyballers.

3. To engage in sexual intercourse; prob. from the expression `bouncing the mattress', but influenced by Roo's psychosexually loaded "Try bouncing me, Tigger!" from the "Winnie-the-Pooh" books. Compare boink.

4. To casually reboot a system in order to clear up a transient problem. Reported primarily among VMS and Unix users.

5. [VM/CMS programmers] Automatic warm-start of a machine after an error. "I logged on this morning and found it had bounced 7 times during the night"

6. [IBM] To power cycle a peripheral in order to reset it.

--Jargon File, autonoded by rescdsk.

BOUNCE

DIRECTOR: Don Roos
PRODUCERS: Michael Besman, Steve Golin

PRINCIPAL CAST:

As a partner in LA's hippest advertising agency, Buddy Amaral (Affleck) makes things happen. Fearlessly confident and wildly charming, his clients love him, and thanks to his killer good looks, so does every woman he meets. Life smiles on Buddy... that is until the December night he's stranded in a major snowstorm at Chicago's O'Hare airport.

There, Buddy meets Greg Janello (Goldwyn), who is trying to make it home in time to celebrate Christmas with his family, and beautiful business woman Mimi Praeger (Henstridge). When Buddy's connections get him a seat on the only flight out that night, he's faced with the choice of either getting on the plane or enjoying a one-night tryst in the windy city. Buddy picks the sexier option and generously offers Greg his seat.

But the next morning, Buddy learns that the plane he should have been on has crashed, and for the first time in his life the guy with all the answers is at a loss.

Compelled to make things right, Buddy sets out to find the wife (Paltrow) of the man who took his seat. It's a bold move that will change the lives of two people who never in a million years would have met, in very surprising, unpredictable and ultimately, unforgettable ways.

--©2000 Miramax

kaytay's opinion:
Filled with tons of awkward getting-to-know-you moments between Affleck and Paltrow - the kind that make you feel just as stupid as the characters must. If this is a feeling you like, by all means see the movie. If that’s just not your thing, by about the middle of the film things straighten out and both characters are surprisingly eloquent in comparison. Lots of laughs, some teary-eyed scenes. Something for everyone.

Bounce is a property of golf clubs that specifies how much of the golf club's material extends below the leading edge of the clubface.


            Comparison of different golf club bounce angles


               +--+                   +--+                     +--+
               |  |                   |  |                     |  |
               |  |                   |  |                     |  |
               |  |                   |  |                     |  |
 --            |  |     --            |  |       --            |  |
   ---         |  |       ---         |  |         ---         |  |
      ---      |  |          ---      |  |            ---      |  |
         ---   |  |           XX---   |  |             XX---   |  |
            ---|  |            XXXXX--|  |              XXXX---|  |
               +--+             XXXXXX+--+              XXXXXXX+--+
                 ---             XXXXXXXXX-             XXXXXXXXXXX-
                                  XXXX                   XXXXXXXXX
                                                          XXXXXXX
    Zero bounce                Small bounce               XXXXXX
                                                           XXXX

                                                  Large bounce

Gene Sarazen came up with the idea of adding material under the leading edge, and produced the first sand wedge in 1931. In 1932, He went on to win the US Open. Naturally, golfers were curious about Gene's new invention. Today, very few golfers who score well play without a sand wedge in their bags. The secret to its almost magical extractory ability comes from the flange of metal below the clubface. This flange limits how far the clubface will dig into the sand. A shallow sweeping swing under the ball will thus blast the ball out of the bunker with enormous backspin. When a proper stroke is applied to a ball in a good lie in the bunker, the clubface never touches the ball. The sand pushes up and forward in response to the sand wedge's attack angle, and then pushes the ball.

Bounce is a game on the Nokia 6820 cellphone, probably on other Nokia models too. You control an orange ball in a 2D vertical landscape, using either the joystick nipple or the number keys to move left, right and jump up. Warning: this game is addictive.

Here's a guided tour of the levels; each feature is introduced on the first level where it appears:

  1. This is an introductory level, easier than the others, containing a single extra ball. The others each have two extra balls apart from the last level. You can only accrue a maximum of 5 lives, though you still get the points bonus for claiming the extra ball if you already have 5 lives.

    There are a number of hoops to jump through, literally. This is the objective of each level - to find all the hoops and jump through, or in some cases into or on, before the exit gate will open. There are also crystals, which give you a bonus, and act as a save point if your ball gets popped.

    The hazards on this level are two pits and a field of spikes you have to jump over. If you hit a spike, you will lose a life and go back to the last crystal or the beginning of the level.

  2. This level introduces a couple of elements that you don't need to solve the level. Firstly, there are spiders - like spikes that move. You can get past spiders by jumping over them or walking under them.

    This level also has an inflator and a deflator floor section. The inflator puffs the ball to a larger size, and the deflator shrinks it to the smaller size. There are only 2 distinct sizes.

  3. The ball starts in a puffed state, meaning that you can't go through the small hoop, so you need to go the other way. Understanding inflators and deflators is key to this level.

    When you are big, you can bounce higher. You can also float on water; you sink if you are shrunk. The level introduces a booster, which is not needed to get through it, in fact the booster is something of an inconvenience causing you to miss some crystals in the shaft.

    This level introduces a trampoline floor (slate colour), on which you can increase the height of your bounce, if you keep bouncing. This is needed to solve the level.

  4. There are no new features introduced on this level, but the dexterity needed is considerably greater than for level 3.

  5. This level is about moving in the vertical direction, with the aid of inflators and deflators to float and sink in water, and some boosters that enable you to float in air, or climb shafts. There's a field of underwater spikes to be crossed, but these can be avoided if you are clever about it.

  6. This level has trampolines which need to be mastered, and a couple of horizontal spiders that can catch the unwary.

  7. This is the first really difficult level. Good dexterity and timing is needed to get past the 4 spiders to catch the last remaining hoop. You'l probably snag the crystal in the process, meaning that your save point stays inside the spiders.

  8. The level starts with diagonal drain pipes. Although no new features are introduced, existing techniques are combined to solve some puzzles of how to get through the level. Once you have got through this level, it's easy to remember how you solved it for next time. There isn't very much physically challenging in this level.

  9. The most difficult level of all. This introduces diagonally moving spiders, and requires some agility to complete the level. The first half is a high speed gymnasium, with many high hoops, crystals and trampolines, and a few spikes in annoying places.

    The second half looks impossible at first. What is needed is to jump on top of a hoop, rather than through it, using the hoop to get to a higher platform. Although the exit gate is visible to the right, it's inaccessible as it's guarded by spikes; you can only get to it from behind.

  10. The penultimate level combines existing elements, but has a maze like quality. It's easy to forget a hoop and arrive at a closed exit gate.

  11. The last level has some new features, by way of sky and clouds! It's all about being the right size, and supercharging your ball with boosters, together with finding the right surface to bounce against and material to bounce through.

    There are quite a number of extra balls lurking here, but they are pretty useless as this is the end of the game. I have yet to find all the hoops - it seems as if there is always one short (somebody correct me with a /msg if I'm wrong).

Having played all the levels, I am left with a slight feeling of disappointment. This game could have been so much more.

"Where's the level editor? Grr!" I guess I have been playing too many open source games, and this has raised my expectations :). Dear Nokia, here's a list of features I would like to add to Bounce:

Bounce (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Bounced (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Bouncing (#).] [OE. bunsen; cf. D. bonzen to strike, bounce, bons blow, LG. bunsen to knock; all prob. of imitative origin.]

1.

To strike or thump, so as to rebound, or to make a sudden noise; a knock loudly.

Another bounces as hard as he can knock. Swift.

Against his bosom bounced his heaving heart. Dryden.

2.

To leap or spring suddenly or unceremoniously; to bound; as, she bounced into the room.

Out bounced the mastiff. Swift.

Bounced off his arm+chair. Thackeray.

3.

To boast; to talk big; to bluster.

[Obs.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Bounce, v. t.

1.

To drive against anything suddenly and violently; to bump; to thump.

Swift.

2.

To cause to bound or rebound; sometimes, to toss.

3.

To eject violently, as from a room; to discharge unceremoniously, as from employment.

[Collog. U. S.]

4.

To bully; to scold.

[Collog.]

J. Fletcher.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bounce (?), n.

1.

A sudden leap or bound; a rebound.

2.

A heavy, sudden, and often noisy, blow or thump.

The bounce burst open the door. Dryden.

3.

An explosion, or the noise of one.

[Obs.]

4.

Bluster; brag; untruthful boasting; audacious exaggeration; an impudent lie; a bouncer.

Johnson. De Quincey.

5. Zool.

A dogfish of Europe (Scyllium catulus).

 

© Webster 1913.


Bounce, adv.

With a sudden leap; suddenly.

This impudent puppy comes bounce in upon me. Bickerstaff.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.