Bodybuilding is a sport that involves training with weights to increase strength and build large muscles for posing competitions or cosmetic purposes.

It is also often known as ‘working out’, ‘weight training’ or ‘pumping iron’.

During bodybuilding competitions participants strike certain poses to display the level of development, size and shape of various muscle groups in their body in the best possible way.

Bodybuilding has become an extremely competitive sport, and, unfortunately, many top bodybuilders all over the world use anabolic steroids, hormones and other possibly dangerous substances to reach the highest possible level of achievement.

Athletes who do not use steroids can nevertheless choose to participate in what is know as ‘natural bodybuilding’.

People sometimes confuse bodybuilding with weightlifting or powerlifting. They are, however, two totally different types of sport. Weightlifting is a sport in which the participant does competition lifts (bench press, squat and deadlift in the case of powerlifting) to try and lift the heaviest possible amount of weight.

The fundamental goal of powerlifting and weightlifting is to get strong.

In bodybuilding the goal is to develop large,.good-lucking muscles and low bodyfat. This requires a different type of fitness, training and nutrition regime.

Also do not confuse bodybuilding with normal strength training that most people do in a gymnasium or a health club.

Strength training is a recommended fitness activity for all people, both female and male. The goal of strength training is to improve functional strength, muscle endurance and general fitness to promote health and overall increase in quality of life.

Drawing the line between amateur bodybuilding and intensive strength training is not always easy, however, as the approaches and effects are similar.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.