In the game of squash, the boast is a shot that hits one of the side walls before hitting the front wall. When played from the rear forehand corner of the court, the ball should end up somewhere close to the front backhand corner (and vice versa).

The boast is typically a defensive shot that is used when attempting to a hit a ball that is too far behind you. It can also be used as an attacking shot, but doing so risks giving your opponent an easy shot at the front of the court.

There are a number of variations on this basic shot:

  • Reverse boast - hits the side wall that is furthest from the player before hitting the front wall, eg, a forehand boast that hits the backhand wall, then the front wall, before dying in the front forehand corner. This is usually an ineffective shot as the ball takes a considerable length of time to travel from one side of the court to the other and then back again - time during which an alert opponent will have moved in for the kill.
  • Trickle boast - played from near the front of the court as an attacking shot. This is often played off a drop or boast, and requires considerable deception in order to be effective. A loose trickle boast will leave you badly out of position, and provide your opponent with an easy winner. Sometimes called an angle.
  • Skid boast - hit high (but hard) on to the side wall at a shallow angle, so as to send the ball deep into the opposite back corner. If hit loosely will provide your opponent with an easy volley from the middle of the court. A difficult shot to master, and is rarely used.
  • Nick boast - while a standard boast is usually aimed to die into the side-wall nick, the nick boast is designed to hit the nick on the first bounce. This is very difficult to achieve, but is a reasonable goal when playing a defensive boast, especially as it gives you a little more time to get back into position (assuming you miss the nick).
  • Volley boast - any boast that is played prior to the ball bouncing.

Bad squash pun: Boast and drive, until you drop.

Boast (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Boasted; p. pr. & vb. n. Boasting.] [OE. bosten, boosten, v., bost, boost, n., noise, boasting; cf. G. bausen, bauschen, to swell, pusten, Dan. puste, Sw. pusta, to blow, Sw. posa to swell; or W. bostio to boast, bost boast, Gael. bosd. But these last may be from English.]

1.

To vaunt one's self; to brag; to say or tell things which are intended to give others a high opinion of one's self or of things belonging to one's self; as, to boast of one's exploits courage, descent, wealth.

By grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: .. not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. ii. 8, 9.

2.

To speak in exulting language of another; to glory; to exult.

In God we boast all the day long. Ps. xiiv. 8

Syn. -- To brag; bluster; vapor; crow; talk big.

 

© Webster 1913.


Boast, v. t.

1.

To display in ostentatious language; to speak of with pride, vanity, or exultation, with a view to self-commendation; to extol.

Lest bad men should boast Their specious deeds. Milton.

2.

To display vaingloriously.

3.

To possess or have; as, to boast a name.

To boast one's self, to speak with unbecoming confidence in, and approval of, one's self; -- followed by of and the thing to which the boasting relates. [Archaic]

Boast not thyself of to-morrow. Prov. xxvii.

 

© Webster 1913.


Boast, v. t. [Of uncertain etymology.]

1. Masonry

To dress, as a stone, with a broad chisel.

Weale.

2. Sculp.

To shape roughly as a preparation for the finer work to follow; to cut to the general form required.

 

© Webster 1913.


Boast, n.

1.

Act of boasting; vaunting or bragging.

Reason and morals? and where live they most, In Christian comfort, or in Stoic boast! Byron.

2.

The cause of boasting; occasion of pride or exultation, -- sometimes of laudable pride or exultation.

The boast of historians. Macaulay.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.