Thick fatty layer to insulate whales, seals and other large polar ocean-living mammals. Used by Inuit to make oil for their lanterns and as a tasty treat. Has since entered popular slang as synonym for "fat" or an overweight person. I believe there is a Judy Blume book with this as its title.

A young reader book by Judy Blume.

This book tells the tale of a girl named Jill. She just wanted to be well-liked, so she often followed the crowd. Even when the crowd in her fifth grade class decided to taunt and tease Linda, an overweight child.

Jill just assumes it is all in good fun, but later she learns taunting can lead to more outlandish acts of cruelty. At this point she is faced with either going with the crowd, or refusing to take part is something she knows is wrong and has gone too far.

This is a book that reminds me of how cruel children really are, and how sometimes as adults we can be just as awful.. even though we should know better.

Blubber, the subcutaneous fat of whales, seals, and other seagoing mammals, is a delicacy in many cultures.

Whale blubber is described as having a clean, nutty, salt-sea taste, with no fishiness and a creamy texture; soft and rich tasting like fine sushi.

Seal blubber is often eaten frozen and is said to taste like sweet hazelnut ice cream. It is also stored in coffee cans, where it liquifies and ages slowly. As it ages, it turns clear and smells sweet. This form is used as a dip for meat or bread. Fermented in the skin, seal blubber is also used in making a giviak.

Inuit mothers use a chunk of walrus blubber as a pacifier for babies -- you can put a stick through it sideways to stop the baby from swallowing it.

Blubber is highly nutritious and rich in vitamin A.

Blub"ber (?), n. [See Blobber, Blob, Bleb.]

1.

A bubble.

At his mouth a blubber stood of foam. Henryson.

2.

The fat of whales and other large sea animals from which oil is obtained. It lies immediately under the skin and over the muscular flesh.

3. Zool.

A large sea nettle or medusa.

 

© Webster 1913.


Blub"ber, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Blubbered (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Blubbering.]

To weep noisily, or so as to disfigure the face; to cry in a childish manner.

She wept, she blubbered, and she tore her hair. Swift.

 

© Webster 1913.


Blub"ber, v. t.

1.

To swell or disfigure (the face) with weeping; to wet with tears.

Dear Cloe, how blubbered is that pretty face! Prior.

2.

To give vent to (tears) or utter (broken words or cries); -- with forth or out.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.