How did this start? I blame the fashion magazines, with all their “Blue is the new black,” “Green is the new blue,” “Stripes are the new plaid,” etc. It’s become a handy conversation filler and formulaic headline (and record title) generator. And, yes, OK, I suppose it reflects our obsession with the New Thing, etc., if you want to try to get all like sociological about it.

Anyway. A few examples:


Fake is the new real –A website (www.fakeisthenewreal.org), and not a bad personal slogan.

Secession is the new emigration –Seen on t-shirt after George W. Bush was handed a second term.

Small is the new big –Seen everywhere.

Weird is the new normal –Heard everywhere.

P2P is the new bongCnet article on Grokster.

Quiet is the New Loud2001 Kings of Convenience album.

Awake Is the New Sleep2005 Ben Lee album.

NOT FUNNY IS THE NEW FUNNY. DONKEYS ARE THE NEW MONKEYS. I AM A ROBOT, DO WHAT I SAY. –Cow of Doom; seen on IWhoSawTheFace’s homenode.

Random is the new order –iPod Shuffle ad slogan.

The Location Field Is the New Command Line –John Gruber of Daring Fireball.

Is Apple the New Microsoft? –Forbes.com.

Microsoft is the New AppleThe Cult of Mac blog.

Old is the new new –Thrifters and nostalgia-mongers of the world.

Blogging is the new black –Apparently, someone who misunderstood the formula. Dorktastic!

Black is the new blackPo-mo hipsters everywhere.


Let me know if you have something to add here. –Or if you know a phrase that is the new “blank is the new blank.”

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.