This is black bean hummus. It's made using the same method and the same ingredients as "regular" hummus, except with black turtle beans instead of chickpeas, and black sesame seeds instead of white. That said, you should not expect this to taste anything like ordinary chickpea hummus. It's its own separate thing, and it is as amazing as it sounds.

Ingredients

black beans - 1 cup
black sesame seeds - 1 tablespoon
sesame oil - 1/2 tablespoon
garlic - four cloves
lemon juice - one tablespoon (or the juice of 1/2 lemon)
olive oil - 1/4 cup
cumin powder - 1/2 tablespoon or to taste
salt to taste

Method

Soak the black beans overnight or at least 8 hours. The longer you soak them the better, but if you soak them longer than a day you will want to soak them in a refrigerator to prevent spoilage.

Cook the beans until they are tender. I highly recommend using a pressure cooker to save time and energy, because if you just boil them in a pot it will take forever.

Meanwhile, toast the sesame seeds. They should be dry roasted in a frying pan without oil. You have to be very careful that you don't burn these things, because not only are they tiny and so burn fast, but also they are black, so you cannot see if they are burning. Use your nose and roast on low heat. As soon as you start to smell a delicious nutty smell turn the burner off! And don't leave the kitchen during this part for any reason.

Now blend the cooked beans, the toasted sesame seeds, and the rest of the ingredients into a smooth creamy paste. Depending on how watery the beans are and how cooked they are at this stage, I find that I may need to add a bit of extra water to get the desired creaminess (the more water added, the creamier). If you drained your beans, you are definitely going to need to add water.

This recipe can definitely be doubled, or tripled, or whatever you want! The most I ever made was 18 cups of beans for a party. It tasted great!

Photo here.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.