Of all the Religious Dietary Laws and Restraints, the Orthodox Judiac dietary laws are possibly the most complicated. A number of Jews are either unable or unwilling to keep kosher as prescribed by the Talmud (see Kashrut, the body of rabbinic law that discusses what is and is not kosher). Those that instead choose to keep kosher precisely as instructed in the Bible are said to remain 'biblically kosher'. Jews who pick and choose which dietary laws to follow at whim are sometimes described as faux kosher.

An example will help. Deuteronomy 14:21 and Exodus 23:19 say,

Thou shalt not seethe [cook] a kid in his mother's milk.
This was extended by rabbinic Judaism to ban the consumption of milk products and meat together completely -- this ban also includes plates, cutlery, utensils and cooking vessels used to prepare or serve either.

Some (including Karaite Jews, a sect that rejects the Talmud) believe that this is excessive and choose to combine meat and dairy, or not, as they wish. Most Karaites, for example, will eat chicken and dairy together -- and some will combine beef and dairy provided they're from different sources.

Source:

Israel's 30,000 Karaites follow Bible, not Talmud
http://www.jewishsf.com/bk991210/1ackariate.shtml
rec.food.cuisine.jewish FAQ
http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/rfcj/kosherfaq.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.