Are what makes your wheels go round when you're skateboarding. Good bearings are essential, and really you only have two choices. Between the two bearing titans, Nachi and Speed Demon, you get to choose between value and longevity, or all out, hands down king of, speed. Myself, I go for Nachi, but I'm a bit of a pussy when it comes to skating. If you want to pull off BIG tricks and be known as a local legend, then Speed Demons are probably the bearing for you.

You will need to spend far more money on Speed Demons, however, for not only are they more expensive, but they wear out quicker. If you're truly dedicated, then its probably best to get Speed Demons, but its all really just a matter of preference.

The less known bearing which is also quite good is the Tiger Long Distance bearing. These bearings aren't fast, but they are slick. One kick on these babies will take you for a four metre ride! They do not last however, because they are not meant for tricks. One high-speed complex trick will have you popping your bearings, so unless you just like riding these bearings aren't for you.

On a car, the bearings provide support to the car body from the wheel axles.

This means that while the car is being driven on the road, the bearings are subject to wear.

Manufacturers often recommend that bearings are changed at a major service. If the bearings wear through, the car will become undriveable without doing a serious amount of damage to the chassis. If front wheel bearings fail, you will lose control of steering, and the wheel may well come off.

Early warning signs

If the car develops a resonance which varies with the road speed, this may indicate a bearings problem, having eliminated the obvious - flat tyre, unusual road surface. Disengage the transmission by depressing the clutch or moving the shift into neutral. If the noise remains, it is not engine or transmission related.

Neglecting tracking causes greater wear

It's a good ides to have the wheel alignment checked at mileage intervals recommended by the manufacturer. Otherwise the bearings will be unevenly loaded, and wear more quickly. You will also need to check and potentially readjust the alignment after changing any bearings.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.