Second of the three battles of Alexander the Great's Asian campaign (the first being the Battle of Granicus and the last the Battle of Gaugamela). Fought against King Darius III of Persia in November 333 BC on the banks of the river Pinarus, near the town of Issus in Cilicia.

-

Background: In the Autumn of 333 BC, Alexander suffered a bout of sickness, rumoured to be caused by his bathing in the River Cyndus. While he was convalescing, he sent the Allied infantry, the Greek mercenaries and the Thessalian Cavalry, all under the leadership of Parmenio, to report on the movements of Darius. He learned that Darius had marked from Babylon towards Issus and that he had camped in the flat, open plains at Sochi, near the Assyrian Gates, to take advantage of his army's huge size in the battle ( Arrian and Plutarch place the size of his army at 600,000; whereas Diadorus estimated the number to be in the region of 400,000) he expected to fight against the Macedonian Alexander. Amyntas, son of Antiochus, a deserter from the Macedonian army, urged Darius to stay put on open ground, where his chariots and advantage in numbers could be used to best effect. However, courtiers of Darius flattered him into believing that Alexander was frightened and now longer planned to advance. Darius was taken in by this flattery and advanced to the town of Issus, where he cruelly slaughtered the invalid Macedonians who were left there. Meanwhile, Alexander was marching to Soli - the two armies missed one another in the night and Darius ended up behind the Macedonian army.Alexander has assumed that Darius would fight on open plains and when he learned that Darius was in the narrow river valley of the Pinarus, he realised he would have to act quick to have any hope of victory. He secured the surrounding mountain passes in the night, encouraged his men - singling many of them out for praise for their feats of bravery in previous military events and advanced towards Darius' position next morning, fanning out into battle formation as the land became more open. His left flank stretched to the Gulf of Issus and his right to the hilly country inland; a distance of 1.75 miles, according to Callisthenes. He himself took control of the right wing, put Nicanor, son of Parmenio, in charge of three batalions; Craterus in charge of the left infantry and Parmenio in charge of the left wing as a whole.

-

The Battle: With the Macedonian front spanning the width of the valley, the Persians had no opportunity to outflank, and thus encircle them. The Persian infantry was the weak link - Darius placed the ill trained and equipped Asiatic levies in the rear and his 30,000 Greek Mercenaries in the front. In the centre of the line, he placed his Royal Bodyguard of 2,000, surrounding him. His renowned Iranian Cavalry were in front of Parmenio. Alexander had expected them to face his wing. He sent the Thessalians across to the left, ordering them to ride behind the phalanx, so they couldn't be seen. Alexander now halted, in the hope that Darius would charge. He didn't, as he had a strong defensive position. It was already late afternoon and Alexander had no choice but to order his forces to charge themselves. Alexander himself led the charge with his Cavalry Companions. They dashed ahead as soon as they were in Persion missile range and dismayed the Persians with their speed in crossing the Pinarus, which they crossed obliquely so that the current wouldn't sweep them away. The Persian Archers had no time to do much damage and Alexander quickly routed the Persian left wing, creating a gap for the Macedonian Phalanx to cross over into. However, the phalanx were unable to stay in formation whilst climbing the steep banks of the river and Darius' Greek Mercenaries tried to force them into the river. Ethnic enmity made the fighting here particularly fierce and 120 Macedonians were killed. Alexander, seeing Darius, charged straight for the royal chariot, through the ranks of Darius' foreign mercenaries, sustaining a wound in his thigh. Darius fled from the battlefield. Alexander reluctantly wheeled around and formed a wedge with his Cavalry Companions in order to help the struggling phalanx. This wedge drove the Greek Mercenaries back from the river, allowing the phalanx some respite. The Foreign Mercenaries were now fleeing the battle. Meanwhile, the Persion and Iranian Cavalry had crossed the river and launched a vigorous assault on the Thessalian Cavalry. The Persian forces actually had the upper hand, but panicked when they realised that Darius was in flight and their own mercenaries had been cut off and massacred by the phalanx. They turned in open and complete flight, trampling on each other in their desperation to flee and were routed by the Thessalians.

-

Outcome: Many man who had served Alexander as cavalry officers at Granicus died at Issus. The Persion camp was captured, wherein Alexander found 3,000 talents and Darius' wife (who was also his sister) and mother - most of his treasure had been sent on to Damascus and Parmenio was sent to capture it. Plutarch remarks that the lavishness the of the camp caused Alexander to pity Darius for his belief that royalty was mere wealth and luxury. Although Alexander was wounded, he nevertheless performed his duties - visitng the wounded and listening to their boastful stories of acts of bravery and arranging a splendid funeral for those who had perished. He also treated Darius' family admirably, allowing them to keep all the marks, ceremonies and titles of royalty. Darius made his escape through the night. Plutarch, Curtius, and Diadorus all agree on the numbers of casualties: 100,000 for Darius and 450 for the Macedonians with 4,500 wounded. However these figures are just as unreliable for those given for the size of the Persian army. Alexander's next move was to march for Tyre, a walled city of great strategic importance. Byblus and Sidon both surrendered to him on his way there.

-

Sources:
Arrian - The Campaigns Of Alexander
Plutarch - The Age Of Alexander

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.