Ingredients

Polenta

Balsamic Sauce

Method

To make the polenta:

  1. Combine stock, cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a heavy pot.
  2. Bring to a boil, then gradually add the polenta and semolina, stirring constantly.
  3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the polenta pulls away from the sides of the pot, about 15 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat and stir in all the fontina and 3/4 cup of the Parmesan.
  5. Spread the polenta evenly in an oiled tray or pan to a thickness of 3/4 inch.
  6. Cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate.

To make the sauce:

  1. Combine the vinegar and shallots in a heavy saucepan;
  2. Reduce over high heat to a syrup consistency.
  3. Add the stock, peppercorns and bay leaves and reduce to a sauce consistency.
  4. Strain.

To assemble:

  1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
  2. Cut the polenta into squares or triangles.
  3. Place on a buttered sheet pan, sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan and bake until golden brown.
  4. Bring the strained sauce to a simmer, then reduce heat to low.
  5. Whisk in the butter 1 tablespoon at a time. Season with salt and pepper.
  6. Divide the sauce among the serving plates.
  7. Top with polenta.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.