(when programming:) A statement of a condition which is guaranteed to be true at that point of the program during its execution. It can't happen that an assertion fails. Since often it does, assertions can be invaluable debugging aids. They also have high value as documentation.

In C, assertions are introduced using "assert(COND);". assert() is a macro defined in the standard header file assert.h. If the macro NDEBUG is #defined, it does nothing. Otherwise, it compiles to code which tests that COND is true, and abort()s (printing some indication of the assertion and the point of failure) if COND is false.

Recall that an assertion "cannot" fail! Thus, both versions (without and with NDEBUG) must be exactly the same. However, when compiling a version for debugging, the version which gives an indication of failure is invaluable.

In this phase of alarm response, bracing, dislike, and pride are the qualities inspired as distress begins. The organism pulls out of the pelvis and off the ground. A statement of boundaries is implied here.
"Keep your distance or I will attack!"
It is a challenging behaviour and calls on the next layer of effort response. The "bluff body" is created in order to appear bigger toward the implied threat.

PHYSICAL RESPONSE IN THIS PHASE:
Diaphragm descends, chest raises and inspires, the pulse increses, the abdominal-pelvic musculature increses pressure (this squeezes pressure into the chest and head). The whole system contracts, getting ready to push, dig in, hit, freeze, become still or hold tight.

As*ser"tion (#), n. [L. assertio, fr. asserere.]

1.

The act of asserting, or that which is asserted; positive declaration or averment; affirmation; statement asserted; position advanced.

There is a difference between assertion and demonstration. Macaulay.

2.

Maintenance; vindication; as, the assertion of one's rights or prerogatives.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.