Keystroke that restarts an Apple computer.

Any of them, pretty much, as far as i can tell. It worked on my Apple //c and it works now on the macintosh, although the apple key has been renamed to command and the reset key is now that funky macintosh key with the triangle pointing left. Spend any amount of time with a macintosh, and you will become **really fucking acquainted** with this keystroke.

Steve Jobs originally had a dictum that if any programmer wrote a bootable program that was incapable of restarting itself if it crashed, that programmer would soon be looking for work elsewhere. Hence the low-level reset routines that have become a part of apple's worldview. Of course, in the time since Steve first left apple, that's become less set in stone; most power macs have special extreme circumstances under which they will crash really really hard and software reboots will be totally impossible. When this happens you're left having to hit the hardware reset key, which is hidden somewhere fairly obvious on the front of casing-- unless you have one of the shitty rev A imacs, in which case (i still have no clue what they were thinking) the hardware reset key is on the side, next to the usb ports, and requires a **paper clip** to set off. This means that if a rev a imac ever crashes on you in this manner, you wind up having to unplug it and plug it back in.

The Apple //, by the way, would not automatically reset on apple-control-reset. You had to hit it a couple times before the reset actually took. Before that, the first couple hits, apple-control-reset would kind of function as an odd über-break, fucking up the screen or (if you got really lucky) dropping you into the Apple //'s built in hexadecimal memory debugger. Or if you just started up the Apple // and then hit apple-ctrl-reset at the Check disk drive. message, you would be dropped into a fully functional Microsoft BASIC environment running off the interpreter in the ROMs. You could actually sit there, punching in line numbers and list and run commands (and i did, quite a lot, when i was six..) (i had almost no clue what i was doing, and for the longest time this was the only way i knew how to get into a place i could write BASIC..) although writing BASIC this way is to be *strongly* recommended against because if the BASIC interpreter was entered into in this funkified manner, you would be unable to save or retrieve anything from disk. Entering any disk commands would (let the circle remain unbroken) .. drop you into the Apple //'s built in hexadecimal memory debugger! where you would be very confused.

As confusing as this may be to those of you accustomed to Windows multitalented system keystrokes, apple-control-reset and command-option-esc are totally unrelated.


Update: The Apple "reset" key is no more, replaced with an "eject cd" key. Let us mourn its passing. To restart a mac, you must now either press the button with the little triangle on the front of the case, or press the power button on the case and hold it down for several seconds.

A couple of small points...first off, it wasn't Microsoft Basic but either Integer Basic (on the Apple //) or Applesoft Basic (on the Apple //e). Okay, so Applesoft was close...but it wasn't the same. :-)

Also, the behavior of the Reset key on the Apple // could be changed by setting DIP switches. On one setting (I believe the one mcc describes above) it would only work in concert with the Ctrl and Apple keys. Most owners I spoke to, however, would set it to simply function on its own; this would bypass the 'soft restart' routines in the ROMs and cause it to send a Non-Maskable Interrupt to the CPU by pulling the NMI pin low on the 6502. This would be the equivalent of the hardware reset button on a Mac. The behavior of the key when set to 'soft restart' would depend on the address pointer stored in the reset vector and the code located at said address. For an amusing method of panicking tyro Apple // owners, see screen slip.

Oh, and the hexadecimal memory debugger referenced above is actually named the Mini-Assembler, and was a fully functional disassembler and hex entry environment that also lived entirely in the ROMs. That computer was damn amazing. Not only did all that stuff live in hardware, but there were complete code listouts in the manual.

Sigh. I miss my Apple //.

However true this may be on a desktop machine, Powerbooks are a completely different matter. Powerbooks have two Reset key sequences, one for the software reboot that is mentioned above, and then a special key sequence for a near hardware reboot. I'm not sure exactly how it works, as it is a key sequence. For the Wallstreet, Lombard, and Pismo, this special hardware reset zaps the PRAM, as well as turns everything in the machine off, and starting the fan. It is a major reset, and you should learn to avoid it at all costs. The Keystroke is Fn-Ctrl-Shift-Power. Also, the reset button that MCC refers to is actually the power key. The reset button is a small one on the case of the machine that is a triangle. There is normally another button there as well, which is the programmers interrupt, giving you low level access to the machine, to debug it (Not for the Faint of Heart). However, this is getting too long, and too off topic... I think I'll start a node about Macintosh Keystroke commands sometime in the near future

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.