I was standing by the side of a swimming pool that had not seen any swimming in it for a long time; little gems of chlorinated water could be seen through the veil of dead leaves draped over it. I held you in close against me, as though protecting you. We both leaned in for what seems like forever for a kiss...

The light slowly crept in through the blinds - little slivers of morning like pinpricks on my eyelids, chipping away at the sleep around my eyes. I opened the blinds as if to surrender to the day, giving up my fortress of unconsciousness. Another day - I'm always waking up to another day without you. Who wants to wake up alone? Always underneath a sky without you. Always to a sunrise without you to share it with. Who wants to watch a sunrise alone?

Tired of being indoors, I ate my lunch outside. Every bite of my sandwich found a new couple laying on the grass staring up at the sporadic clouds, drawing out the outlines of fluffy pirate ships, or small animals, or some other equally unlikely image, that is made all the more special because it's shared with another person. Who wants to go cloud-seeing alone?

I drove home as the sun was setting. The once relentless force that earlier tore me from my sleepy keep now retreated with astounding haste. Every cul-de-sac I drove by meant new sets of couples standing hand in hand, facing the retreating light, as if giving it a silent salute. Pinks and oranges danced across the faces of the couples, like a horrible and infectious, romantic dance sensation. Who wants to watch a sunset alone?

My teeth sparkling white, just like the package promised, and my fingers still a little numb from a noose of floss, I walked to my window to rebuild my wall against the morning. The sky was littered with stars. Like someone had spilled a million little whitening crystals across the sky. Vague outlines of constellations, both traditional and newly imagined. Who wants to stargaze alone? You, nowhere to be found here. I want to go back to the pool, where I left you. The sky is a constant reminder of you, and all the things that were meant for you and me, that you never showed up for. Oh well, who needs to look at the sky after all? It's not like anyone ever does anymore...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.