Most ISPs use the "abuse" account for receiving information about people who abuse the services they provide.

If you receive spam e-mail, or get hax0red by a l33t d00d, you should send an e-mail message to abuse@<insert-abuser's-isp's-domain-here>.

The action taken on receiving such a message varies from provider to provider. Some will shut down the abuser's account, send a warning, or do nothing at all.

Abuse is Crack dot Com's cult classic of computer games. It's a side scrolling platformer, but with a twist.

The plot: The hero, Nick Vrenna, somehow ended up into a top secret military facility fnord in which genetical tests took place. Prison riot. Test subjects got loose and the biological virus things they were developing got out of hand. Vrenna + laser gun that was lying in the corner. Do the math. =)

The mutants look sort of Gigeresque (even when they have weapons) and Nick looks fairly familiar - not to even mention his arsenal. Years before the official Aliens vs. Predator game, the fight was already possible...

Some interesting features of the game:

  • Moddability: The character AI was written in Lisp (though it only contains a limited subset of Common Lisp), graphics could be changed with Satan Paint ("Why the hell it's called Satan Paint?"). It has to be said that moddability was slightly hampered by the fact that mods tended not to work across different versions of the game - well, it sort of stabilized since 2.0 is probably the last version out there...
  • Easy, live level editing: The game came with a level editor that can be used while the game is running - just hit Tab and edit the level. The editing of background graphics and level structure is tile-based, and game logic is trigger-driven. The level editor UI isn't the best possible and takes some time getting used to, but it works.
  • Controls: The Keyboard was Nick's feet - and The Mouse his hands. In traditional platformers, you could not point the weapon where you wanted - in Abuse that was possible.
  • Multi player: Internet/LAN game built in... even before it was fashionable.
  • Overkill: The game was violent and actionful enough that it could be mentioned in same sentence with DooM, in contexts other than Dave Taylor's list of accomplishments. =)
  • Great graphics and sound: Abuse had good graphics and ambient sounds - though the game could only use 320x200 VGA mode and mono sound. Mac version (developed by Bungie) apparently had full 640x480 graphics. Also, Sound Blaster couldn't play the MIDI music that was added to the game. Either way, the sound effects fitted to the game more than appropriately.

The game was originally developed by Jonathan Clark in Linux (Dave Taylor's favorite OS). The shareware version was famous among Linuxists because it came with Slackware Linux. The 2.0 release was the commercial release of the game, and it was DOS only - later, a Macintosh version was released.

Some time before CdC closed down, in 1998, approximately two years after commercial Abuse release, they released the source code and shareware version data of Abuse to public domain (this didn't include sound effects, though). This was the first time 2.0 was released for Linux.

Abuse has been since been hacked a bit (for example, new maps are out there and SDL version works nicely - the old 2.0.0 code only worked in 8-bit mode in X, for example, but now Abuse runs in modern Linux desktops and Windows as well). There still are a handful of people who like the game and mod it. It is fairly regrettable that Abuse never attained anything more than a cult status, because it is a fairly interesting game concept. As a result, there modder base is rather narrow.

In Debian, Abuse is these days easily installed with just apt-get install abuse-sdl abuse-frabs.

Some Abuse web sites:
http://abuse.resourcez.com/
http://www.cs.uidaho.edu/~cass0664/fRaBs/ - fRaBs is Free Abuse, which is an easy-to-use pack of all freely available stuff for Abuse.

A*buse" (#), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Abused (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Abusing.] [F. abuser; L. abusus, p. p. of abuti to abuse, misuse; ab + uti to use. See Use.]

1.

To put to a wrong use; to misapply; to misuse; to put to a bad use; to use for a wrong purpose or end; to pervert; as, to abuse inherited gold; to make an excessive use of; as, to abuse one's authority.

This principle (if one may so abuse the word) shoots rapidly into popularity. Froude.

2.

To use ill; to maltreat; to act injuriously to; to punish or to tax excessively; to hurt; as, to abuse prisoners, to abuse one's powers, one's patience.

3.

To revile; to reproach coarsely; to disparage.

The . . . tellers of news abused the general. Macaulay.

4.

To dishonor.

"Shall flight abuse your name?"

Shak.

5.

To violate; to ravish.

Spenser.

6.

To deceive; to impose on.

[Obs.]

Their eyes red and staring, cozened with a moist cloud, and abused by a double object. Jer. Taylor.

Syn. -- To maltreat; injure; revile; reproach; vilify; vituperate; asperse; traduce; malign.

 

© Webster 1913.


A*buse" (#), n. [F. abus, L. abusus, fr. abuti. See Abuse, v. t.]

1.

Improper treatment or use; application to a wrong or bad purpose; misuse; as, an abuse of our natural powers; an abuse of civil rights, or of privileges or advantages; an abuse of language.

Liberty may be endangered by the abuses of liberty, as well as by the abuses of power. Madison.

2.

Physical ill treatment; injury.

"Rejoice . . . at the abuse of Falstaff."

Shak.

3.

A corrupt practice or custom; offense; crime; fault; as, the abuses in the civil service.

Abuse after disappeared without a struggle.. Macaulay.

4.

Vituperative words; coarse, insulting speech; abusive language; virulent condemnation; reviling.

The two parties, after exchanging a good deal of abuse, came to blows. Macaulay.

5.

Violation; rape; as, abuse of a female child.

[Obs.]

Or is it some abuse, and no such thing? Shak.

Abuse of distress Law, a wrongful using of an animal or chattel distrained, by the distrainer.

Syn. -- Invective; contumely; reproach; scurrility; insult; opprobrium. -- Abuse, Invective. Abuse is generally prompted by anger, and vented in harsh and unseemly words. It is more personal and coarse than invective. Abuse generally takes place in private quarrels; invective in writing or public discussions. Invective may be conveyed in refined language and dictated by indignation against what is blameworthy.

C. J. Smith.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.