At the Atlanta Pop Festival in 1970, John Sebastian was fond of just wandering around in the crowd during the day, guitar in hand, being the official "greeter," I suppose. He strolled by our little group one day and I asked him if he'd sit down and play us a song. He said, "Sure. What would you like to hear?" I immediately said, "Younger Generation." He did a very good job; I think I might have cried.

This may seem like an outdated, silly little tune these days. But I think it does represent a very clear and concise story about the way many of us feel when we're young and still wondering what it will be like to be a parent.

It was on an album called "Everything Playing" by The Lovin' Spoonful. (Thanks to the dead Napster, I now can hear this song again. Even though no record store in the world has it for sale. Thanks, buddy.)



Why must every generation think their folks are square?
And no matter where their heads are, they know mom's ain't there.
'Cause I swore when I was small that I'd remember when
I knew what's wrong with them that I was smaller than.



Remainder of lyrics removed due to © considerations. Here it here.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.