This is one of the better scenes from the movie Die Hard. Hans Gruber (played by Alan Rickman) is talking to John McClane (Bruce Willis) over the walkie talkie radio thing. They don't know each other by face yet this early in the film, but John's been able to figure out Gruber's first name.

Hans asks McClane, "Mister Mystery Guest? Are you still there?"

"Yeah, I'm still here." McClane is casing the floor he's on, preparing to leave the room and keep on the move so he doesn't get caught, "Unless you wanna open the front door for me."

"Uh, no I'm afraid not. But you have me at a loss. You know my name but who are you? Just another American who saw too many movies as a child? Another orphan of a bankrupt culture who thinks he's John Wayne? Rambo? Marshall Dillon?"

McClane says, "Was always kinda' partial to Roy Rogers actually. I really dig those sequined shirts."

Hans, in a failed attempt to intimidate McClane, responds with, "Do you really think you have a chance against us, Mister Cowboy?"

Here's the beautiful part. McClane's finished checking the dead bodies for clues and ammunition, and is at a back door preparing to leave. He hears the tone signaling the elevator opening up elsewhere on the floor. He's able to leave just as the bad guys arrive. Does he have a chance against them?

"Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker!" Great movie!

This phrase is integrated in one way or another into the following two THREE sequels to Die Hard, but never to as great effect as this.

One of the most often remembered and often quoted lines of dialogue from the Die Hard trilogy is "Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker." The infamous line originated in a radio conversation between hero John McClane (Bruce Willis) and terrorist Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman). Gruber is trying to find out who is running around Nakatomi Tower trying to play hero and says this situation is no place for cowboys. McClane replies "Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker."

The line shows up again at the end of Die Hard 2 when McClane blows up the jet that the villanious Col. Stewart and his cohorts are escaping in. As the plane explodes thanks to some ignited fuel, McClane says the line to himself. A similar situation arises at the end of Die Hard With A Vengeance when McClane blows up Hans Gruber's brother's escape helicopter.

Obviously this line of dialogue will not be permitted on broadcast and basic cable channels, so the censors have found creative ways of overdubbing the line. In Die Hard the last piece of the phrase is overdubbed with silence. In Die Hard With A Vengeance McClane says "Yippee-ki-yay, my friend,". The most unusual and confusing overdub of the phrase occurs in Die Hard 2 when the name of one of the villains is overdubbed all throughout the movie with the name of "Mr. Falcon" just so that at the end of the film McClane can say "Yippee-ki-yay, Mr. Falcon."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.