Xing is also the company whose software-based DVD player contained the CSS decryption key in unencrypted format. As a result, a group of code hackers in Europe (Masters of Reverse Engineering) were able to create DeCSS in its first incarnation -- a program allowing for the decryption of DVDs.

The reason why this is important is it has created an enormous trial regarding the legality of DeCSS and has thrust the MPAA's practices, the future of computer programming, the future of personal freedom, and the future of copyright into the spotlight.

Thanks to shoddy programming practices at Xing (whose DVD player is now a part of history, only), many Linux users will, hopefully, be able to play DVD movies that they own on their operating system of choice.

A note to those who wonder why DeCSS was made as a Windows executable if it's supposed to let Linux users play movies: Linux at the time didn't have the ability to read the UDF format used on DVDs--they simply wouldn't be readable, period. Go into Windows, decrypt the movie to the drive, go back to Linux, pow, problem solved.
An abbreviation for crossing, formerly used on road signs like DEER XING, or the ultimate in abbreviation, PED XING (where ped = pedestrian).

Rarely seen today, because most of those road signs have been replaced with signs showing pictures of whatever crosses the road there.

Also a clothing company that catered to the raver type in the mid 1990s, in America. The Xing logo was a white, alien headed, fluid looking little guy jigging, with one hand raised straight up in the air and pointing to the sky (or disco ball), one hand level with his mid-rif in a mock scratch pose, one leg stretched way out in another disco pose and the other straight behind him.
I have not seen any Xing clothing for sale in several years.
A company founded in 1994 in the small town of Arroyo Grande by a crazy Jewish guy with a big afro and thick glasses named Howard Gordon who likes robots. Original offices consisted of Howard's spare bedroom which then expanded to a few storefronts in a K-mart shopping center.

Created the first software JPEG decoder that was subsequently licensed to Microsoft for inclusion in their operating systems. Also created the first software only MPEG video encoder and the first realtime hardware MPEG video capture card for PCs that was available for under $600 in the mid 90s. (Others were 5-10k) Also during the mid-90s, Xing created the first private, IP multicast based private television network for NBC financial. Shortly thereafter created the first software only realtime MPEG decoder/player for then-new Pentium class PCs.

Also developed StreamWorks, one of the first commercially available streaming audio/video products for the internet in 1995 which utilized open-standards (MPEG). Unfortunately, then-technologically-inferior RealAudio won the market due to huge marketing muscle powered by VC funny money.

As a result, Xing fell into a decline. Only to be reasonably saved by finding a market for their MP3 encoder/decoder technology.

During Xing's decline, Howard Gordon was removed and replaced by some slimey Hollywood exec named Hassan Miah who bloated the company beyond belief only to Hassan Chop them shortly thereafter.

After Hassan Miah ran the company into the ground. It was sold to Real Networks making himself and all of the useless executives that he hired a shitload of cash.

Before StreamWorks, Xing was actually a profitable company that had paid it's own way to growth. Over the course of it's lifespan, it's total outside funding was less than was most shitty dot-coms recieve in their first angel round.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.